Anyone considered a 'Tile' to find lost drones?

So not sure if it has been mentioned or even thought about before, but talking with a friend today and got talking about drones and the fact he knew someone else that had lost his, we got onto a possible solution. So he suggested the use of one of these ‘Tile’ things that can help find stuff. So I’ve looked at the website and although the range is very limited there are other features like last location and community find. As I’ve already seen quite a few threads with people losing their drones I wondered if anyone has used this, or knows of anything that may do a similar job?
If not maybe we should go into business!!!

1 Like

I use Tile on my keys, but as you say the range is a bit limiting for drone use.

Something like this would do what you want though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DRBKYFH

What the heck is that link you posted?!

Good idea Richard,
Could make your fortune!

Tiles and other bluetooth devices are no good for finding drones.

The last location is just the last time and place it was connected to the paired device.

When I started flying I used a GPS tracker, RFV16 as had read all the scare stories you probably have.

They are cheap enough and give you peace of mind but I bet you wont need it long when you realise how rare a fly away actually is.

2 Likes

And they don’t work underwater. :wink:

2 Likes

So I wonder how many people have had fly aways, maybe we need a poll?

1 Like

Describes me exactly!

I never used to take off without a tracker attached - I don’t bother anymore :+1:

1 Like

I have a Tile, yes. I can’t say it will do me any good if I have a Fly Away because finding it would rely on somebody walking past the Tile who also has one and has the app up and running at the time. But I didn’t get it for that.

I got it after reading a few stories of people who crashed in bushes/trees, but when they got to where they thought it had come down they couldn’t find their small, grey drone amongst the greenery and ended up having to abandon it after hours of traipsing about.

I got the Tile Pro which has a 300ft range, so as long as I’m in the right ballpark I’ll be able to ping it on the phone and get it to sing me a song so I can (hopefully) find it more easily.

I have a square of this on top of each battery and a square on the Tile. Sticks like glue, but is pretty easy to take off when I swap batteries.

So maybe not a totally useless idea then. And I was thinking of dangling it below the drone but the Velcro idea looks better.

That might play merry havoc with both obstacle avoidance sensors and your VPS.

1 Like

I am very surprised that no one has come up with a new version tracker,which will work on 4g witch you could link to your phone and have an app,yes i know there are similar things,but ,now with the amount of drones flying about,this would be a great money maker for someone,making it tiny,and targeted at drone pilots…

4G is not really needed on a tracker. Its sending very little data 3G is sufficient. One which also uses SMS is better as you can track where there is no data signal.

Theres loads of trackers arouns with mounts for most drones.

It’s a niche market and the majority of drone pilots dont use one so probably not worth anyone’s time.

What would be good is a nano sim card slot on the drone allowing basic telemetry or location through the GO4 app when signal is lost.

1 Like

I use my tile when I go on holiday helps me know when my bag is on the carousel in baggage area

OK if the drone is on you could just use the find my drone thats within the DJI GO 4 app!

Hey now that is a clever idea

But then it wouldn’t be lost… so you wouldn’t need a Tile / Tracker / etc.

I think this is more for the times when its ditched hard, battery fallen out in the crash, etc.

Ahh true so then there is no real purpose to that function within the app then is there?

Exactly the same for me Callum, I’ve never used it and it’s still sat here on the desk with the Phantom 4 mount I bought.
When the Inspire went AWOL I did consider printing a mount for the Inspire to use it but haven’t bothered.

The find my drone feature did help me find the Inspire with it’s last known location.
As well as the help of a pair of Strobon CREE LEDs

1 Like

I’ve been thinking of uses for mine.

Tie it to some balloons, pop it in a glass bottle in sea, flush it down toilet in a ziplock bag :rofl:

Any other ideas?