Apps and utilities to view drones that broadcast Drone ID and Remote ID data

@PingSpike so the android revolution has started. What device is taking your fancy?

You can leave the drone on the ground but the rotors definitely need to be spinning for the remote id to be broadcasting.

If you start the rotors the display in the Fly app will change to ā€œin flightā€, even though itā€™s still on the ground. Thatā€™s enough to get your beacon emitting :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll split this thread out later, weā€™ve got two clearly different things going on in here.

2 Likes

I donā€™t fully understand how or why as Iā€™ve not researched it enough, but itā€™s a safe bet this will be why your Mini 2 isnā€™t showing up @Sparkyws

tl;dr version:

Device BT 4 BT 5 Wi-Fi Beacon Wi-Fi NAN Link Notes
DJI Mavic 3 :x: :x: :white_check_mark: :x: DJI Mavic 3 - Imaging Above Everything - DJI Range < 500 meters via smartphone
DJI Mini 3 Pro :x: :x: :white_check_mark: :x: DJI Mini 3 Pro - Fly Mini, Create Big - DJI Range < 500 meters via smartphone
Parrot Anafi :x: :x: :white_check_mark: :x: Parrot ANAFI | Professional Drone Camera 4K HDR FW version >= 1.8.0 required

No Mini 2 :see_no_evil:

Are we getting the Drone Id and DJI Aeroscope mixed up?

DJI AeroScope:

How does it work?

DJI AeroScope is endorsed by the UKā€™s Centre for the Protection of National Infrastructure.

It is a passive radio frequency (RF) system that tracks real-time telemetry data from all DJI drones (around 80% of the market) within its range.

Generate detailed flight logs, including statistical reports and heat maps, for analysis.

Entirely possible these days man :grimacing:

1 Like

So @speatuk could test it out on his Mini 3 and the Mavic 3 :wink:

1 Like

OpenDroneID is not picking up the drone while in flight? I downloaded and installed from the above link, must be missing something. Time for some more reading. And no I havenā€™t applied the hack yet

It does not work, the DJIā€™s donā€™t use Droneid what they use is Aeroscope and that is what you are disabling when apply the exploit

The drone Iā€™d app does work, but not with the Mini 2.

The Mini 3 and Mavic 3 work, thereā€™s a link knocking about somewhere.

1 Like

They only use WiFi Beacon and some phones donā€™t have that, and we donā€™t know the range of detection using a phone

Also, the older DJIs and the newer Miniā€™s 1 and 2 use Aeroscope but we donā€™t know the difference between the 2 and if the exploit ciajeepdoors disables both

On my Mini 2, it says it disabled Droneid but you have posted above that it doesnā€™t have Droneid but it can be tracked with Aeroscope from what I can gather

Found this but not tried it yet

says it only a simulation

2 Likes

If youā€™re coming on Sunday Wayne Iā€™ll bring my drone id phone along :slight_smile:

1 Like

What phone did you get?

I bought a busted up Huawei Mate 20 Pro from eBay in the end as this model seems to have the best detection/radio/comms support.

2 Likes

Is it worthwhile breaking the DroneID app into a separate thread where people can post which phones theyve tested on?

Iā€™ve tried it on 5 phones with no luck on any :frowning:

Yes, agreed, will sort later today.

2 Likes

This PoC app from DJI back in November 2019 is / was also related:

If you can add to the list of devices that have the correct hardware and are compatible with the app then please contribute here.

A list of devices that are not compatible isnā€™t of much use (as itā€™ll be a mammoth list) :blush:

The only devices that seem to receive all of the beacon data are

Well, none of the devices i have access to work. :frowning:

Xiaomi Mi11
Google Pixel 5
Samsung Galaxy A12
Huawei Honor 9
Oppo Reno Zoom

This is despite at least a couple of devices showing all 4 of the requirements in the OpenDroneID app shown as supported.