Apps and utilities to view drones that broadcast Drone ID and Remote ID data

I have the module just need to write/find the code :thinking:

I have a mate in the US I might ask him to purchase one and send It over

No not sure what frequency remote id is using

Two, please.

2 Likes

This is very probable:

You only need a small network of volunteers with RID receivers which in turn relay their collected data up to FR24 - the same as they do now with ADS-B on aeroplanes.

Been playing with this with my mini 3 and OpenDroneID.

My hardware is supported (BT4, BT5 legacy, WiFi Beacon and WiFi NaN).

Nothing at all displayed flying the Mini 3 Pro and i don’t see any option in Fly to actually enable it to test so i assume the current firmwares locks it on in places like Japan and the US and offers no user changeable options for it outside there.

Also worth noting for people in this thread there are 2 forms of ID here:
(i) Remote ID - the public “anyone with a phone can see” system the US, Japan and others have adopted

(ii) Aeroscope data. This is on all DJI drones since Phantom and is available for anyone with a DJI Aeroscope (or 3rd party hack) and is always active. Older firmware versions of many drones (not mini) combined with android older versions of Go4 and Fly can stop it sending data. CIAJeepDoors can disable this.

White paper at:

https://www.ndss-symposium.org/ndss-paper/drone-security-and-the-mysterious-case-of-djis-droneid/

Source code at:

1 Like

More on the above, below.

As this system reads signals from DJI’s proprietary DroneID (rather than the common Remote ID) it will allow anyone to see the location of both the drone, and the location of the operator.

And because it’s picking up DJI’s DroneID signal it means it will work here in the UK, even where Remote ID is not being broadcast by DJI aircraft - because it’s reading the data that is intended only for AeroScope receivers.

All OcuSync 2.0 drones are affected. DJI Mini 2, Air 2, etc.

1 Like

Cough. . . . Cough. . . Yuneec …cough, cough . . . . :grin:

1 Like

And Autel :blush:

:wink:

Or if you would rather not drop £1000 and don’t need the full duplex

Interesting :thinking:

The Aeroscope is no longer in production.

Source: https://www.dji.com/uk/mobile/aeroscope

1 Like

Aeroscope 2 :thinking:

1 Like
1 Like

Suspecting that.
I can’t see them NOT having a product to detect their drones - its a large part of the market and a large reason they’ve got authorisation to operate the drones at all in some places.

Interesting. Doesnt yet support the SDRs i have here but if its does Lime then im sure it wont be long.
not a lot of difference.

I’ll be keeping an eye on this.

1 Like

Back to OpenDrone ID and testing it on a Pixel 7 Pro without luck.
The device supports BT4 (not 5) but also WiFi Beacon and Nan.

Permissions granted no errors.

Im in a place where Remote ID is mandatory and the keys imported to my Mini 3 Pro and all showing as active in DJI Fly.

On starting the motors nothing is detected at all in OpenDroneID.
Does the drone actually have to be in flight for Remote ID tx to start or should it start on the ground when the motors are turning?

(Nothing on my S5E either but that apparently only supports WiFi Beacon).

The drone will broadcast the FAA Remote ID signal when all of the following conditions are met:

• The drone has the Remote ID functionality.
  • The drone is within the airspace of the United States.
  • The drone’s motor starts

If the drone is not in the USA, it will not broadcast RID

Here is the list of information it will be transmitting:

1. A unique identifier for the drone (Here is the Remote ID serial number);
  2. The drone’s latitude, longitude, geometric altitude, and velocity;
  3. An indication of the latitude, longitude, and geometric altitude of the control station;
  4. A time mark and Emergency status.

A message should appear in the “Preflight Check?”

As to whether a phone will pick up RID :person_shrugging:

DJI also broadcast in some other countries, I saw it on a firmware releases notes ages ago :thinking:

Yeah here’s one example Wayne:

Not sure which countries they operate it in, but I’d imagine it’s across all drone models using the Fly app.

Correct - im in Japan where its mandatory, uses the same as the FAA standards and is supported by the firmware so it should be sending.

Unless its only whilst off the ground - i cant test that here in Tokyo.