Armed Defence Police

Testing the Mavic 3’s 7x zoom in spotlight mode this evening and despite DJI stating it’s for static subjects only it actually did a pretty good job tracking this Police launch.
Not until I uploaded the video did I notice the Officer was carrying a firearm!
I know they have them onboard and they often carry side arms but rarely see the submachine guns on display like this during their regular patrols.

6 Likes

Very impressive!!

Very nice footage :+1:

Thanks.
Without thinking I dragged a green box over the Police boat and it was being tracked quiet well. Then I remembered that when in 7x zoom it was only supposed to be for static subjects.
Bonus! Will have to do a bit of testing with this.

A boat in the middle of the sea probably registers to the tracking algorithms in the same way was a static item on land, since there’s no perceivable linear movement of the detail in the sea (it being very random) for the tracking to realise it’s “moving” relative to the boat.

In the same way in post (Davinci Resolve), the tracking functions would never work on the sea surface.

Further testing today resulted in discovering that when in spotlight mode and the drone holding position tracking works quite well with slow subjects only but even the slightest RC stick input will cause the loss of subject.
Occasionally the auto gimbal adjustments can be seen moving in stages, as in the last clip.
It’s still worth remembering tracking could be used when in 7 x zoom if needed.