Article 16 for Grey Arrows Drone Club

Hi all,

I was wondering if there was any news as to whether Article 16 will be granted to insured pilots.

I currently have insurance with FPVUK but have been thinking about becoming an insured Grey Arrow member as I prefer this community.

As the content that I make is based around coastal areas it is convenient to have the distance reduced to 30m with article 16.

I would be grateful for your input, and would happily make the switch.

2 Likes

Thank you for your continued interest David @scambo

As we’ve often mentioned in the past, less than 1% of our members actually use any OA that they might have from BMFA or from some other random insurance provider.

However, the door is currently open for us as CAA have confirmed they will accept an application from another flying association.

We are still in discussions with CAA about our application for an Operational Authorisation and we are yet to make a decision.

As always, we will share any news with our members the moment we have any.

Just looking at your bio, I see you fly sub 250g so OA16 is not needed anyway.

Are you considering ‘sizing up’?

Check out our very own, and unique tool Good 2 Go

3 Likes

I would like to upgrade to an Air 3 next summer, my FPVUK insurance renews in December.

Well I just renewed FPVUK for another year for the A16. I rarely require it, but have used it (and done risk assessments) on a few occasions. Rather keep all membership here but there ya go.

3 Likes

Exactly, rarely used but useful to have in some situations.

Thank you for you reply, I look forward to hearing more, I hope that you do decide to obtain OA16 as it would be great for us pilots to at least have the option available.

Many thanks.

2 Likes

Hopefully this happens as it would save having two memberships.

Potentially one might conflict with the other for insurance. Not sure.

2 Likes

Any news/updates/likelihood for A16 cover as part of the GADC insurance? Looking to renew mine, and really want A16 included, and would prefer to support GADC than others! Can’t seem to find any updates on this, is it dead?

Heh did try a search, sorry for not finding it! :slight_smile:

We are still in discussions with CAA about our application for an Operational Authorisation.

We are also in discussions with another flying association around potential partnership opportunities and umbrella-extensions of their existing A16.

Please renew with your existing association.

We will share any news with our members the moment we have any.

7 Likes

I’ve also been looking to see if we have the article 16 as I may well require it

Guess still no news …

What do you think you need it for ?

Run some scenarios through our very own Good 2 Go for a definitive answer

I didn’t ask for tips bud but news on article 16

Now if you can shed any light on if the club has or is going to get this,this would be helpful

1 Like

@Ckneller

Thanks I have read that but I believe from memory was last month

Is the club planning on getting it ?

Or do we just join fpvuk as I’ve read others have done

have a good think about if you will ever actually use A16 - I joined FPVUK last year and out of all my flying I never had the need to fly under A16 ( DJI Avata flights as I have a Mini3 Pro that would not need A16)

I didn’t renew my UKFPV membership so I could become an insured member with Grey Arrows in the end.

I think you will find its rare that you will need to fly under them rules. You may find your better off getting your A2 CofC as that was the conclusion I got in the end - A16 is nice to have as for that one in a 100 odd chances that you need it. But maybe its just where I fly. It might be of benefit to you but be sure to check if it really will be if your concern is more to do with paying for two memberships ( here and UKFPV)

3 Likes

And once you have followed the procedure and completed the risk assessment :roll_eyes:

It is a bit of a faf for what it is really - I thought I would make use of it but the opportunity has not presented itself and I doubt it will for me flying the Avata - guess I am lucky being in the countryside

I’ve just today got a Avatar 2 from what I understand I would be able to fly it in the local park under article 16 keeping the min distance 30m away from others having done a risk assessment

This is the reason I am asking