Asbestos and Dust Particle Detection Using A Drone

I have a question for you.

A friend of mine wants to conduct aerial surveillance using a drone to look for asbestos, dust particles, etc.

I believe the Mini 2 can be used for commercial operations due to its light weight.

But what drones offer thermal imaging and / or asbestos / dust particle detection?

Thanks.

You probably want something with a hyperspectral data sensor mounted on an industrial drone e.g. Matrice. Even then, I’d be dubious about claims that it will detect asbestos particles, but I’m no expert.

1 Like

This is detecting asbestos roofs, not particles.

1 Like

My first thought:
The downdraught from the rotors will either blow away all the interesting dust, or massively stir it up from any surface.

2 Likes

I would have thought that a mini 2 or similar with the ease of restrictions as 250g would be the perfect tools, for viewing roofs from above and then determine if more invasive methods such as sampling are required to confirm that it is ACM?

the article attached to me, suggests that there looking a thermal properties to determine was is ACM, which surely would need suitable weather in order for the material to absorb heat etc, the size of drone to carry that sort of payload and the types of areas flying would probably carry the need for detailed permissions

1 Like

Not sure what the OP wants to achieve.

The mini2 limit is “does it look a bit dusty here?”. Not sure how useful that is.

Thermal imaging: of what? What resolution? There’s the Mavic2Enterprise Dual but its very limited compared to say the H2OT on M300 (other large drones carrying decent thermal cameras are available).

Re dust, asbestos. Politely suggest the OPs friend needs to be MUCH more specific. Asbestos fibre ID, clearence testing/fibre counting must be understood.

Gas testing spectroscopically is MUCH easier.

Caveat. My PhD is analytical chemistry. In my past i have taken both asbestos test labs and mobile landfill gas monitoring through UKAS accreditation and i have experience of health and safety regulatory enforcement from the regulator’s side of the fence. I am currently flying a M300 with a Micasense RedEdgeP. (I also have a mini2)

I really cannot get my head around what the OP friend is trying to do, but unless they have very deep pockets AND an understanding of the pertinent analytical methods underlying spectroscopic techniques AND a suitable OA, I suggest that “it looks a bit dusty” and maybe a bit of low resolution thermal imaging with a basic drone are realistic aspirations.

Finally, be VERY careful with anything where the A-word is concerned, the Regulations are extremely unforgiving and PI cover nigh-on impossible to get for a sensible price.

JMI tho…

GC

1 Like

I am a tad dubious. Its a very expensive approach and i wonder if it is reliable enough to satisfy HSE requirements… i would stick with a sample analysed to the current relevant MDHS by a UKAS accredited lab myself…

GC

1 Like