Assembly queries for a novice

Definately not enough heat there.

The black wires on RHS look a bit iffy as well. Solder is not flowing onto pad.

What solder are you using?

1 Like

Argh…!

I’m no soldering expert but I use to find thicker wires I used a bigger flat iron more surface area heat at once anyone else

1 Like

Flux?

1 Like

What wattage is your iron a.d do you have any other tips?

You can get away with a fine tip sometimes but you need to get it in at an angle for more surface contact on the pad.

1 Like

So this is my iron… It was recommended here but now… Not enough heat? Its at 400c…

No more tips… I managed the one, and it worked on practice. So maybe I just have to show more preserverance…!

Have you got different tips for it ??

Are you using the tips tip or side?

It’s a big pad so you might need to get in using the side of the tip.

Put a small amount of solder on to aid surface contact.

Personally I’d try and get those black wires at side to flow a bit better.

If you cant get a nice joint on them then it’s probably time to get a wider tip.

1 Like

Try use the iron more flatter on the joint rather than with the point once your flux burns off it’s very hard to get a good joint is it pre fluxed wire

1 Like

I will just shut up lol :+1:

1 Like

It’s got flux, but I’ll keep at it. So frustrating as this is the last joint I need to do and it’s stopped me flying during this amazing weather!

1 Like

(obviously… Flying does count as part of my hours exercise, right?)

1 Like

Go and have a breather and don’t rush it plenty of good weather coming and breath!!!

2 Likes

A tip like this is better for thicker wires

1. Pre soldier wire
  2. Pre soldier pad
  3. Wire on the pad and hold the bigger tip on it all until it all runs adding a bit more solder if needed
1 Like

This👍

I wouldn’t rush it mate or it will just cause grief in the long run.

If you cant get the tip in on a shallower angle I’d get one like above.

The iron might be set to 400C but that dosent mean your transferring that heat to the components. Larger surface area transfers more heat.

Dont be tempted to power it up before checking it all over. See quite a few spots of solder on the board.

Tips to small so the heat gets sucked out faster than the iron can put it back in. For those big chunky cables you need to use a big chunky tip as they hold the heat better

2 Likes

I bought a bigger top for that TS100 iron
Also to get the power rating up you need to increase the voltage, I use a 5S pack and don’t have a problem with the thick battery and ESC cables
I posted a few months back my recommendations for this iron I’ll see if I can send a link back to it
Cheers
Steve :slightly_smiling_face:

This is the bigger tip, D24
Screenshot from Amazon but loads of places sell them