Atti mode on DJI Mini 2

Although I’m getting the same issue on the iPhone 11 and iPad mini 4 I might just try reinstalling the app paying more attention to the permissions on first startup just in case.

Does it actually go in to Atti (loses GPS positioning and starts to drift) mode or the app just tells you that it’s in the mode?

Haven’t flown mine since the update but will be extra careful now.

2 Likes

I have the same suspicions as @TassyWass in that your Mini isn’t actually going into ATTI mode rather the APP is reporting the wrong info. Someone mentioned they could still use RTH, which wouldn’t be possible unless the Mini knew where it was in relation to the take off point. I also think that if it had actually lost GPS lock, and with the Mini being so light, you would instantly see it drift with the breeze/wind, unless it was at a low enough altitude for the VPS to still work reliably.

3 Likes

No it is not actually in atti mode it doesn’t drift and still returns home

1 Like

I’ve had a response from DJI customer support and I’ve updated them in regards to Android working fine and the issue is with iOS fly app.

I’ve tested both iOS and Android again today with same results getting atti mode warning from iOS but not from Android even though I’ve tried reinstalling the iOS app.

What is puzzling to me is why only a few people are having the issue with iOS, could it depend on what else is installed on the phone ie Go4 etc :man_shrugging:t2:

Did a roof survey this afternoon (our house, so only got a cup of tea as payment) using the M2. Got the “Atti mode” warning straight away even though I’d re installed the app. Got to the top of the roof, and the Mini 2 just stayed exactly where I put it and didn’t stray more than a couple of inches even though the wind was blowing.
Wonder whether the warning is the glitch and not the drone being in Atti mode.

1 Like

They released another firmware update 24 hours later, but I only found that by checking on the latest firmware, it didn’t show automatically.

Might be worth a check.

And that one still doesn’t show up on their web site :roll_eyes: :man_facepalming:

I’m hoping the DJI web team all come back to work on Monday, they’ve got shit loads of things to update on their site :smiley:

Probably all Scottish and having an extra day off :joy: :joy:

I did the firmware update this morning and took it for a fly but only got the atti mode warning at the start after hand launching after coming out of the house but was ok after home point was updated so not sure if fixed or not

I’ve been out this afternoon with the Mini 2 and for no reason at all I had the “Atti mode” warning just after lifting off, and it shot off across the field about a foot above the ground at a great rate of knots purely wind driven. Dropped all of the power off or I’d still be chasing it now! Luckily, nice soft damp grass and no damage.
Latest firmware and latest version of the app (1.2.2) on iphone 11, checked before leaving the house. I’m not using it again until DJI have sorted it, I’ll use the Phantom 4 or Mavic 2 with the Go4 app instead!

2 Likes

Wow scary that mate, it shouldn’t have needed the satellites at that height anyway and should have been using the bottom sensor on the ground as though you was flying indoors. Definitely something wrong with the iOS app I’m having no problems at all now I’m using my old Galaxy S6 phone instead of the iPhone 11

Would be good to get your flight record checked out on that flight to see what went wrong.

Airdata links?

I’ll have a look while I’m back at work tomorrow (back bedroom), can’t do it tonight the match is on!

2 Likes

Why do some GPS receivers cost a few quid and others cost 100’s of £?

Answer: Accuracy and robustness under extreme conditions.

The DJI Spark, considered the precursor to the Mini and Mini2, was plagued with GPS/Compass issues especially when flown in Sport Mode.

The situation would be something like this. The operator is happily flying along but then makes a few very abrupt moves. The compass acknowledges the change in direction but the GPS, due to the larger update intervals, still claims forward motion. The result is a conflict between the GPS data and the compass data. One conflict should not be an issue and can be treated as a one off error. However successive errors will trigger the flight controller to believe that the GPS and compass data is in some way compromised causing a failsafe condition whereby the drone reverts to ATTI mode. This is probably why many Spark owners witnessed error messages claiming compass errors and poor GPS signal, even though they could see that they had 18 or more satellites connected. The truth is the actual signal strength of the satellites was still very high, it was the lack of confidence the flight controller had in the data, but this would have been too complicated for DJI to put into words that could be easily read in a pop-up in the Go4 App.

The Inspire 1 suffers this too, if flown in a spirited manner.

It’s amazing how quickly you learn to fly ATTI when the very survival of your drone instantly depends on it :blush:

Thankfully just slowing down for a bit allows everything to self-correct, and you’re off on your merry way again :smiley:

Great explanation as always @Nidge :bowing_man:

2 Likes

This is the reason why, whenever possible, I fly all my drones,that are capable of it, in either ATTI or manual/ACRO mode. I’ll use GPS “Assistance” for autonomous modes and when I want to hold a stationary position while I’m hands off the controller.

1 Like

Just tried my Mini 2 after update with the Huawei P20 stable with no Atti mode, switched to the iPhone 11 started to get Atti mode then the aircraft started to do its own thing and I had to bring her down before it crashed into fence so looks like we could have an issue with iOS…

1 Like

But on the bright side, you can now film your fly-away without a purple glitch on the screen :grin:

5 Likes

I’m glad there’s a bright side, I was getting a bit depressed :worried: