Avata hand catching. Watch which way you do it

If any of you Avata owners hand catch and launch, which I know I’ve always done, just take a note out of what happened to me this morning.

I normally bring the drone in, pause it, grab it from the top and twist it over. Automatically cutting the motors. Like I say, I must have done it a few hundred times now, no issues.

This morning I caught the drone, twisted over and…one of the props snapped. Literally the hub with the screws going through snapped and the prop flew off​:scream::man_shrugging:.

Bearing in mind I’ve only just got the drone and not stuffed it anywhere yet, which might weaken something, I can’t think of anything that would have caused it.

Anyway, to be on the safe side from now on I catch it the other way, pause, press landing button, wait for the drone to start landing, then take a hold of the drone until the motors stop.

Just thought I’d give anyone a heads up who’s interested.

You killed another drone :scream:

Perhaps previous owner of the refurb you received from Care Refresh stacked it and left a hairline fracture? :thinking: :see_no_evil:

What’s the plan Ady? Open a new ticket with DJI?

They are a pain to land, I’ve been using my mat as I also use it to kneel on when setting it up

Mmm, possibly.

The plan? Well I’m out at the mo and used 4 batteries. Tested the old catching procedure several times before buggering off in manual, seems fine👍.

I’ll run it until the wheels fall off, whether that be today or tomorrow or whenever, then raise a ticket. They’re phones still hot from last week😁. And they parted with a new battery for my troubles with the none existent Avata fault😁.

I used to always take the car mat from the passenger side, that lasted almost all of 2 weeks😂.

Like I said above Wayne, never had any issues over a couple of hundred flights, the drone squeals when you flip it, but it’s over in a split second. Don’t have an igloo what happened this morning :man_shrugging:

I missed that bit…not yet🤣.

I don’t know what it is, I put them goggles on and…well…you’ve seen evidence of my Avata flying :rofl:. Enough said​:grin:

The mate was trying to follow us the other night with his Avata…needless to say he was lonely for much of the flight :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Seems like props can be a bit of a problem on the Avata …

Thanks John👍

Seeing the way his props split, that suggests to me they split in the same way as mine, from the holes in the prop hub.

I’m going to do a bit of a search when I get back, see if anything alse pops up.

Cheers👍

Have a look on the DJI forum - quite a few people have suffered prop failures. It appears to be due to over- tightening of the retaining screws. Some have failed without having been touched from new or having suffered an impact - it looks like some were due to over tightening by DJI at new assembly.

Just had a mooch about. Yeh your right, quite a few people having issues with exploding props :scream:.

Time to change props :man_shrugging:. Or carry on with OEM :man_shrugging:.

Ive just looked at the Master airscrew 4 bladed type, but I can’t believe any reviewer on YT🥴 and really don’t want to change to an inferior part🥺

Master Airscrew got a great reputation - been making after market props for years :+1:

Facing East…:speak_no_evil:

I’ve been on the fence over replacing the props, now after these reports I’ll get the Masters.
Most of my RC planes over the last 35 years had Master Airscrews.

3 or 4 blade :thinking:

I’ll start with 3, may lead to the Axis conversion later… right now it’d be for peace of mind as I bought the Avata to fly in the sticks, don’t want that feeling your props may fail in flight…

Ordered some 4 blade Masters, see if they do the trick. Going off reviews the 3 blade aren’t that good in manual :man_shrugging:.

Been out flying, stock props ok👍. Just want peace of mind though…

1 Like

@Njoro, @Sparkyws.

Hi chaps. Installed the Master airscrew props tonight. 4 blade.

Flew in manual and sport, give it death in both (although I have altered my rates in man to a bit more tame).

The drone is still loud but less of a scream, more high pitched but a softer tone.

Handling. I’m not up to speed with all the tekky talk but it flies a hell of a lot better with these on👍. More smooth and not as abrupt turning. You don’t hear the drone complaining as much when you do a sharp turn. If that makes sense.

Durability? Don’t know yet obviously but they don’t seem as hard as the stock props.

Love em​:grin:. Just ordered another set :+1:

1 Like

I think I’ll try those 4 blades too just need to find quick delivery…

Just been, June 3, I’m not on Prime…