Banned from flying in Portland Harbour

Rightly or wrongly I sent a polite email to the harbour saying that I will be flying my drone this weekend (subject to weather).

I have now had an email back to say that I can’t fly my drone as I need their permission for commercial or recreational flights.

Needless to say I would not TOAL from their land anyway.

Interesting…

1 Like

Loads of lovely foreshore there to play on

1 Like

Why send an email then?

3 Likes

Isn’t it right next to an airport.

See my link

1 Like

not sure :joy:

To be fair, I looked on their website and it just said if you are flying a drone to let them know - not to seek permission etc.

So it was one email a fairly brief one at that.

I didn’t actually request permission - it was more of a statement.

In any event, I think the wind and rain will thwart any flight.

Further to my previous email, after discussions with our Port PFSO regarding your request to operate a drone for recreational purposes under the drone user code on Saturday 30th October 2021, unfortunately this request has been denied.

In accordance with the British Ports Association paper on aerial drones and ports issued November 2020, it states under the Regulatory and Legal requirements,

‘Those who wish to operate drones must adhere to various safety, legal, regulatory, and insurance requirements. These vary depending on whether the drone is being used for commercial or recreational purposes. Furthermore, depending on where the flight takes place, drone flyers and operators may require the approval of the CAA, local air traffic control and port authorities, where relevant.’

Portland Port has a drone policy in place as detailed in the following link and these regulations must be complied with to be able to operate a drone within the Port Harbour.

https://www.portland-port.co.uk/public/files/DRONE%20POLICY/44%20Drone%20Policy%20(V_1).pdf

2 Likes

You meet the requirements set out in paragraph one.

Tell them to foxtrot oscar on the rest

4 Likes

I pretty much did in my reply :joy:

2 Likes

Are they thick, you did what they asked :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

If you inform them then you have done everything correctly. If they don’t like it then TOUGH. As you know they don’t own the air space.
Hope the Weather changes in your favour.
Do a Follow up if anything comes about please. :confounded:

3 Likes

I think that we all know the Drone Code and respect it but the Portland letter is very much like the National Trust rules and reg’s. Don’t know who they think they are as you have the same rights as anyone else when it comes to flying in FREE AIR.
Don’t let them stop you as once they take it away from you then you will never ever get it back…Just like Government rules. :poop:

7 Likes

The illiteracy alone would make me fly …

And that the document was dated prior to new drone laws being imposed.

And, as @milkmanchris has stated, you already comply.

Pick any reason from the above, but I would fly regardless of what they say.

4 Likes

How about we all send them an e mail saying we are going to fly over Portland on Sat!

7 Likes

That was my first thought too.

3 Likes

Fly - and if they come after you point out their CAA references are out of date and you comply with present regs as required…

2 Likes

Always quote your insurance supplier (not the actual policy number) and say what you have money wise, also helps shut them up, as they think they can shut you down with that crap. Basically you can shut them back with all the relevant facts, if of course you can be arsed, if you’re not TOALing from their land, fuck em anyway.

1 Like

I just need to find a TOAL spot close to the port and the weather to be okay.

My day / time to fly isn’t that flexible. I will probably use the Mini 2.

Fingers crossed… :joy:

Found this FOI from 2018

Some interesting requests

Stick a NOTAM in just for good measure, and a little bit of a piss take.

DS is your friend

2 Likes