Best RTH Height Setting

Hi,

Just wondering what the best RTH setting height is best used. I recently had an accident as my RTH on Mini 4 Pro was set to 50 meters… I forgot pre flight checks and left as is. On RTH my drone hit a tower.

WHAT IN ALL HONESTY DO YOU GUYS SET RTH TO?

Rich

I always estimate the height of possible obstructions. If they are close by I’ve taken the drone up within 5m of the highest and noted the height when the drone is level with it, then add at least 5-10m to be sure it’s not in the way. :wink::wink:
PS, I thought obstacle avoidance remained active on RTH ?

1 Like

That’s my understanding John. RTH ignores the mode settings and returns it to Normal with OA enabled but it obviously depends on which drone and RTH features has ie M4p has Optimal or Preset. The drone has to be over 50m from the HP for it to work and OA will not work in low light levels ie dark, fog or mist. With Advanced RTH Optimum it will pick its own route and not ascend whereas preset will first ascend to height selected then head straight home.

2 Likes

I rarely use RTH but all depends on surroundings and conditions. 5mtrs higher than tallest structure/tree in the area. If it’s quite windy I don’t want the drone going higher and up into stronger winds so I tend to use hover. If really windy and the terrain is suitable, I set it to land and make the walk of shame.

1 Like

@Wadda-C2 have a read of this thread:

1 Like

@Wadda-C2 Hi Rich, like Rich said have a read above. I set mine generally to 45 mtrs (higher than pylons usually) but do a quick once around to see if owt else is about that I might have missed and reset if necessary. I forgot to do this for instance when flying over Willington Power Station cooling towers that are 90mtrs high. Lost signal briefly that reminded me to amend it quick just in case. I reset it to 93mtrs!

1 Like

On the other end of the scale, if you’re flying under things like bridges or power lines, set it low so it doesn’t smash into the underside of them

3 Likes

Thanks for the info there guys. I just need to get it into my head to do pre flight checks on each flight.

2 Likes

Hi Mart,

Just seen you have a YouTube channel. I have liked and subscribed buddy :+1::raised_hands::+1:

1 Like

This is good advice. Also if your flying under a tree canopy for instance, I set mine to hover unless of course its over water or a road!

3 Likes

Great info guys and thank you so much for all your valuable advice. May need to start another thread soon on props for dji.

1 Like

I did have it set for 50m RTH and towers I believe are 80m… With being a newbie pilot, should I set this to 90m no matter where I go, then set and adjust later in different locations. I just want a safe RTH height until I get use to Pre-Check flights before each flight… which after Mini 4 Pro crash and spending money on a new one will make me learn to ALWAYS ASSESS AND CHECK SURROUNDINGS FIRST.
Im slowly learning with valuable expensive lessons when spending another over half “K” on new one
Anyone selling just a Mini 4 Pro to help me save a few pounds, instead of buying 4 Pro with a remote I do not need as already have one?

90m may seem safe, as it will get you up above most things that may be around you, but there is a risk that there may be stronger winds at that height and perhaps the drone will struggle to make it back.
There really is no short cut … you need to get into the habit of thinking about these settings as part of your preparations for flying.

2 Likes

Do you have DJI care refresh on the drone? That can make a replacement much cheaper!

1 Like

I see you say your a newbie pilot as we have all been at some point, try not to run before you can walk until you have built confidence & judgement within your surroundings in understanding or judging what your flying near or above, maybe not go where things are to hard for you to judge at the moment & fly where things are lower where you maybe able to judge & determine a safe height for RTH or somewhere your familiar with, this would be me go to if like yourself & I was just starting out, just take it easy & build your confidence, good luck :+1:t2:
Edit : very good advice in the post above mine from budgieuk.

I doubt it but you never know & you’re better off posting it in the for sale & wanted thread where you stand more chance of it being noticed. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Did you lose the drone? I thought it was just damaged? You can get them repaired, which would be loads cheaper than buying another one.

As long as there is nothing to hit above as @MartG1960 Martin said above go for it if it makes you feel more confident. All your’e doing is wasting battery life and maybe putting the drone in higher winds but no big deal TBH as long as your battery life is good. I rarily wait for the ‘battery getting low’ message to return to home so not an issue normally but there have been occasions where I pushed it (getting a picture of the Shrewsbury English Bridge and Church behind (Month of May winner in the GADC calender 2024) is an example; Waiting for the Sun to come back out I cancelled RTH while I framed the piccy. It started to descend into the river so I pushed up and hit reverse quick. It did a forced landing in the carpark behind me, buttock clenching time!! :rofl:

1 Like

The best will depend on the type of RTH the drone will use

I suggest reading the manual to lean about the different options the drone will take

2 Likes

FTS

Life’s too short

3 Likes

For you :point_down: :fu: :grinning:

iJustine, Casey and Billy (when he had braces and lived with his mum and dad) was all I needed (still need iJ)