Best soldering iron and/or station

Another vote for the TS100 here, i do 90% of my soldering with mine. Get a 12v 2A at least Power Adaptor either with it or separate. TS-BC2 for general and TS-C4 tip for battery terminals and you should be good to go.

1 Like

TS100 it is then.
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated

1 Like

I’d make sure it’s suited to your needs before you purchase though, as because you’re talking to the FPV crowd here, most of us are looking for portability as well as quality. The TS100 is a field soldering iron and not a soldering station. It’s powered from our flight packs that use XT60 connectors. Like mentioned above you’ll need to buy a separate power supply if you wanted it to use a standard 240v UK plug.

It’s a great iron for our needs while repairing quads/wings in the field. It’s still good using it on the bench as well but is more suited to field use. it’s small and compact and fits in our flight bags.

Not trying to talk you out of it because its a fantastic iron but it does have a different application to that of a bench iron that you’re used to. Just keep that in mind :+1:t2:

I have plenty of power supplies so all good there, plus I also now have plenty of 18650’s to make a portable pack for it. I don’t solder a lot at at home, but when I do it’s usualy just cables up to 2.5mm csa, the occasional fix on through hole pcb’s that have dry joints etc. I have a big iron for heavy cables. The portability for me is it’s biggest point. I have to solder quite a lot at work and usually use a gas fired iron, the machines I work on don’t normally have 240 sockets within easy distance which means running extension leads and causing trip hazards. Plus there are heavy troleys and pallet trucks getting rolled over the cable. The gas fired is good except when working in a small space with lots of tightly packed components or cables. I always end up melting something with the exhaust port while repairing the damaged part. So for me, this fits the bill perfectly. Well, except its shape, I wish it was round instead of square!!!

1 Like

Then yeah, will be perfect for that application :+1:t2: the ergonomics of it ain’t as bad as they look it’s rounded on one side and flat on the other, it actually fits in the hand quite nice :+1:t2:

Plus, if I’m buying it for work to replace my own iron, I just might be able to get the management to pay for it :rofl:

1 Like

Also check out:

If you’ve got a 3D printer then the link above is a great case for it :+1:t2:

as for the shape here are a couple of photos of mine to give you a better idea:

Hope they help :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I do, and I’ve just dowloaded the STL, thankyou!!!

And yeah, it doesn’t look as bad as thought now I see pictures of it in the hand. Now I just have to decide which of the many, many clones to go for. There are hundreds of them!

The photos are of the actual TS100, clones may differ :+1:t2: Think I paid £50 for mine.

struggling to find ts100, moved onto ts101 now and goes up to 90W. Around the £73 mark now as well.

Could any of you kind chaps take a minute to check this one before I hit the button please?

I’ve found the TS100 in stock for £33 but I can’t recommend the retalier due to past experience of poor service.

My past experience with this retailer was I ordered a radiomaster Li-on pack to power my TX16S radio. When it arrived it was a unbranded self built pack so I think I ended up opening a case with paypal who gave me a refund.

So chances are if you buy the TS100 from this retailer you’ll just get a clone anyway. So I’d sooner not recommend it but I can send you the link via DM if you fancy trying your luck? :+1:t2:

send the link anyway please? To be honest it’s going to be a clone at that price I would think? I don’t mind spending the money on the right one as I’d rather just buy once and not have any hassle

Maybe I’ll just have to be the forum guinea pig for the TS101?

Nevermind, like the retailer their site lies as well. I went to add it to the basket, then it tells you its out of stock :man_facepalming:t2:

:rofl:

I have found the pinecil one at almost half the price, but of course 3 week delivery which I can’t wait for :rage:

Found here for cheaper. Looks to be around 2 weeks for stock and a reputable retailer

cheers for that, but I have stuff I need/want to solder now. I suppose I could save myself a few quid and use gas powered one for now? But then I’ve already had to replace an £8 switch due to overheating of old iron, I don’t really want to have to replace any more melted stuff

1 Like

I use these a lot, quick delivery

I ended up going for one off Amazon, they all look the same, same specs, pretty much the same price, same reviews. But the all important next day delivery