Blurred water

This is my first posting of photos taken with my Mavic air 2. These were taken at and around Keld in the Yorkshire Dales. I was surprised at how easy it was to take blurred water shots. I would welcome any advice or tips.

11 Likes

Nice pictures, what shutter speeds were you using?

Really good pictures you’ve clearly got the hang of managing shutter speeds.

Hi Craig, shutter speed was set at 2.5 with the iso at 100. I also used a 256ND filter. Glad you like the photos. Cheers.

1 Like

Teriffic photos. :+1:

Excellent images and shows how stable the drone is when hovering. With a 2.5 sec exposure any movement and you would end up with a blurred image and yours are very sharp. Only one issue, it looks like you had an overcast day and consequently ended up with a boring white sky. If you use Photoshop you can replace skies very easily (many other apps can do it too). Don’t be tempted to put a blue sky in as it will look false. a grey sky with some clouds would fit well.

1 Like

The 256 filter wouldn’t have helped either

1 Like

HI, many thanks for your comment and advice about photoshop, I don’t actually have that but I will look at downloading it today and giving it a try. I use Lightroom which has the facility to change the sky but for some reason I can’t get it to work. I don’t know if its the program or me. Once again many thanks for the advice.

Hi, I took your advice and downloaded Photoshop, it works well albeit very difficult to find my way around the program, but that’s me I guess as I am not very good with computers! Thanks again

5 Likes

It’s improved the image significantly. The software is quite clever, it has also warmed up the whole image to match the new sky (I apologise if you did this!). However, one of the ‘tell-tale’ signs of sky replacement is evident in your image; there is a slight halo between sky and hill, particularly on the left side of your image. Oddly, it’s more apparent in the small image in your post but not so evident if you click on the image to enlarge it. The ‘halo’ can be easily removed in photoshop. See this link as to how it’s done:

Thank you for the tip, I had not noticed it, but I do see it now. I will have a play with it and try and following the instructions in the link. Cheers for now.