Bolton Abbey, Skipton, North Yorkshire

I created this video, made up of stills and drone clips of the Yorkshire home of the Devonshire Family. It comprises 30,000 acres of Moorland, woodland and agricultural land over which a network of paths cross. At its heart flows a seven mile stretch of the River Wharfe.

Also at the heart of Bolton Abbey Estate lies the Priory Church and Ruins of an Augustinian Priory in its beautiful riverside setting. The land was gifted to the Augustinian canons by Alice de Rumilly in 1154. The canons lived and worshipped here until 1539 when the dissolution of the monasteries stripped the Priory of its assets. History lovers will enjoy the story of Prior Moone and how he negotiated with Cromwell to secure the nave as a place of worship for the local community and how the church continues to thrive to this day. With seating both in and around the Priory Church, this is the perfect location to sit back, admire the view and escape the 21st Century.

Strid Wood, one of the largest remnants of sessile oak trees in the Yorkshire Dales hugs the banks of the river Wharfe and invites visitors to walk its shaded paths. Renowned for the flora and fauna, bluebells flower in late April and early May, followed by wild garlic in bloom. This majestic wood is home to a myriad of wildlife including roe deer, otters, kingfisher and greater spotted woodpecker. In 1810 the 6th Duke of Devonshire and the Rev. William Carr opened Strid Wood and invited the public to walk the paths they created. Enjoy the views from the carefully placed seats along the nature trails.

Please note the Strid is very dangerous and lives have been lost. Please take note of the signs in this area and stay well back from the edge.

Synonymous with Bolton Abbey, are the stepping stones that were the crossing point for the lay workers at the Priory. The 60 stepping stones offered a challenging experience for visitors but unfortunately they were damaged during a flood in 2016. They will be restored but for now (2022) there is the bridge that still offers a safe and dry passage.

North of the stepping stones is a large beach area popular with visiting families. This is the perfect spot to enjoy a picnic, build sandcastles have a little paddle in the river or simply relax and take in the view of the Priory.

Really enjoyed our day on the Estate, which has many well kept and accessible paths suitable for all, including those of limited mobility.

The estate is free to visit but each of the car parks cost £15 (@2022) and the tickets are not transferable from one carpark to another… so Walking is the order of the day!

More info is available from their following website:

There are many circular walks publicised on Google that take in all the features covered (and many many more) but my favourite is Walking Britain, which can be found at the following link:

Visit my channel @ DocCol - YouTube

Channel Name: @DocCol

3 Likes

Nice video brought back some nice memories of our visit many years ago, the river seemed a lot shallower then , I remember standing on a pebbled stretch of the riverside on the abbey side watching seagulls catching crayfish and filling their boots before we crossed the stepping stones and walked through the woods upstream to quite a large cafe then returned down the other side of the river, great day in Skipton too :+1:t2:

@Sandbagger. Cheers Alan. I too walked through the woods and the cafe was the other side of the bridge about half way through the video. A walking club was having their lunch there just out of shot, lining up miles along the river bank. I wished the stepping stones was still in tact. Would have enjoyed skipping over! Recommend the place highly.:+1:

A really good piece of footage, well paired with backing music. A good mixture of info and visuals with out the text being overpowering. This is going to have to be a place to visit on me bucket list…
Nice work… :+1:

@Indy-Garden Thanks Charlie. Glad its given you an incentive to visit. Didn’t mention it anywhere but the guy who was looking after the Prior, Cliff I think was his name, was awsome and came up with so many anecdotes on historic events I left bemused but highly entertained! Left a donation on my way out! :innocent::rofl:

Nice video, I am heading Bolton on Sunday, hopefully get a few pictures while there.

Hope the weather holds out for you :crossed_fingers: Its a great place for walking and pictures but don’t like drones, which is why I took off by the fountain. :+1:
To be truthful, I chickened out whilst doing an orbit as I was getting loads of strong wind warnings with my mini 2. Seem to be far more braver nowadays with my mini 3 Pro. :grin:

Bolton Abbey, Skipton. Leeds Castle, Maidstone. They either need to be renamed or relocated :rofl:

Can get a bit tense with the warnings coming up on screen, I nearly lost my mini 1 from winds.

I searched Bolton Abbey looking to see if any members had flown there, took me to this thread. It’s a shame they don’t like drones, I got that impression from the website. Silly really, look at your video, it’s more likely to bring in revenue for them than cause any harm.

Enjoyable - thanks for the history and your filming along with your choice of music.
:clap: :movie_camera: :church:

1 Like

Dont let the anti-drone thing put you off flying there are plenty places to TOAL and TBH the grounds are so large they wouldn’t know anyway. :+1: