Breaches of the Drone code

Well you can set max height in the settings :wink:

I’m the last to speak, I’m almost the anti drone police on here :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve just completed the theory part of the PfCO and I don’t recall anything about how far away the drone can be. Obviously the height of 400’, and different airspace classes, but not the distance unless I glossed over it in a moment of boredom. I’ve only learnt about the 500m rule reading posts on here. I’m assuming that even if I did have the nerve to try it, flying out 3 km to a cruise ship is a no no? Or is it ok with a powerful strobe?

Just to be clear, at the moment I get anxious if it’s too near the edge of the cricket pitch in full view!

1 Like

They never mentioned VLOS? That is the only limit.

2 Likes

Yes, but there wasn’t a distance.

1 Like

Because there isn’t. VLOS varies on conditions, size of drone and eyesight.

6 Likes

ChrisT. Well your PfCO trainer should have said it’s limited to 500m distance. This is stated in the actual PfCO document that you receive from the CAA so I have always taken 500m as being the maximum distance for recreational flying as well. I’m surprised it’s not mentioned in the drone code.

1 Like

Which PfCO document?

Like to paste the wording?

1 Like

Must…
Not…
Get…
Involved.
(Again).

2 Likes

Didn’t see it. I’ll look back over it tomorrow, all the sections are on my laptop as I’ve done it online. Got all the other distances, people, buildings etc but don’t recall a maximum distance.

As per various replies, even the 50m bubble from a building not under your control is subjective. For example, it’s 7am and a church is deserted, locked up and only you around . I would say you have control over the building as nobody can enter without you being aware, and nobody is inside to leave. If anyone does turn up, you can easily fly to the required height or land.

I’m glad I haven’t :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Who needs the CAA…

You guys could talk yourself into new regulations quicker than they could ever implement them.

5 Likes

:man_dancing:

To my lack-lustre knowlege 500m is mentioned in the same sentence as, ‘To Stay Safe’ or words to that effect - 500m is not in Law.

(I couldn’t help it)

You are FAR more likely to be charged with endangering Aircraft if you’re dim enough to get close to a low flying Helicopter that you didn’t know was there because you flew so far away you couldn’t hear an incoming Air-Ambulance. (These travel 4KM in 60 seconds)

It’s not the distance, it’s the danger involved to other aircraft.

Happy to be corrected

2 Likes

I love these type’s of quiz

Is it a polar bear :wink:

5 Likes

As a bit of an explainer of ‘Danger to Aircraft’ and why I monitor whats in the air around me when I fly…

One example is a privately owned Helicopter that regularly flies near me and is constantly below 400ft.
This helicopter is registered to Home And Bargains. M-YMCM . The damn thing seems to land in random spots in the NW. While I was trying to find out who owned it I came across an accident report for this chopper…

Helicopter hit by 640g Pigeon - totally smashes windscreen, injures passenger.

This was on landing approach but flipping heck - look at the damage.

In this instance it was on the passenger side - I don’t think it would have went so well if it hit the Pilot instead.

1 Like

As I said it’s the document you receive from the CAA granting your PfCO. I’m merely stating my understanding and what I choose to do. Each to their own.
This is the front page2020-06-17_212317.pdf (2.6 MB)

1 Like

So - a limit for PfCO … and a recommendation for non PfCO.

Interesting.

Thanks.

2 Likes

This chap then

1 Like

Indeed,

However,

I highly recommend you use ADSB Exchange when flying at the limit of VLOS or even when you’re not.

It costs nothing.

You can help increase coverage and accuracy by running your own ADSB node on a Raspberry Pi.

You never know when an Air Ambulance has landed nearby to attend an accident.