download

Do we want drones?

‘No no no no no no no’

We will ban them

‘yes’

too late, they are banned

1 Like

Ultra vires as usual.

That’s a really well reasoned post …. Thank you for distilling what I was thinking :grin:

Don’t tell them Pike.

That’s if the police actually turn up

Enjoy.

5 Likes

Excellent Ben, I eagerly await Karen and Ken’s considered response.

1 Like

Should be a giggle if nothing else.

I bet they don’t understand why they suddenly have so many people asking about drones!

I sent triple H an email informing her that her policy was un enforceable in law and the reasons why…here is her reply. which, to be fair she did respond very quickly, the same day…

Dear Philip,

Thank you for your informative message.

The main motivation in writing the policy was to protect the privacy of our residents who in the past have been subjected to very intrusive close-quarters drone flying. We also need to be mindful of our community herd - and generally protective of the peace and tranquility of Brill Common.

We wrote the policy with input from several sources, including templates from other local councils but we are always open to amending it in order to be fit for purpose.

If you know of a local council policy that you think fits the bill - mindful of the needs of residents as well as drone pilots - please could you let me know?

Thank you again for taking the trouble to write to us.

Best wishes

Hannah

Cllr Hannah Hulme Hunter

Brill Parish Council

I was going to suggest they take a look at what was an excellent page on Nottinghamshire Police’s page, but they’ve took it down.

https://www.nottinghamshire.police.uk/advice/drone-law-uk

I guess it didn’t go in sync with what the council preferred. How dare the Police tell people they can legally fly.

Although I don’t think any policy correctly covers TOAL and fly over, because otherwise, why have a policy, when the CAAs code already covers everything. :wink:

ETA: it is archived here on the way back machine: Drone law in the UK | Nottinghamshire Police

1 Like

I guess in 2023 we will be told by so many people (including Brill) that the transition period has ended and we can no longer fly drones etc…

But not the statutory body governing drone and model aircraft flying.

ic

More seriously, I’d tell her there is no policy the council can make that is legally enforceable without introduction of a byelaw, which would statutorily require consultation with local pilots, BMFA and FPVUK, signoff from the secretary of state, and would be open to legal challenge if it contradicts or tries to duplicate existing legislation/regulation, which means the need to protect an interest other than safety or privacy, which are already covered in law.

1 Like

On a less conspiratorial possibility it may just be that the force decided it inappropriate to duplicate what the CAA say given the regs are set to change again and they’re going to have to maintain the page to keep it current and not misleading as to the rules of the day.

Generally speaking there’s no need at all for a council to need a policy. Some councils do now have exactly that stance as their policy, like Liverpool City Council who simply state as their policy, in not so many words, “The CAA is the regulatory body and it’s not for councils to try to act as regulators in this area.” A very bravo, spot on policy I have to say.

Oooo … I’m off to Liverpool soon … will definately be taking my Mini 2 now.

:rofl:

Didn’t get a response to mine! :joy:

Not even acknowledged my FOI request either. I hope I don’t have to refer it to the ICO…

2 Likes

It’s time to play the game!!!