Britannia Bridge - Added to Bridges in Wales

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

I parked next to St Mary's Church LL61 6AD and accessed the shoreline near the Nelson Statue via a public footpath.

It is also possible to reach the shoreline east of the bridge from a footpath running from the south edge of the Gwesty Carreg Bran Hotel LL61 5YH, or from a slipway on the south of the Menai Strait (footpath starting from Treborth Botanic Garden LL57 2RQ and heading north west). The path down to the slipway can be extremely slippery.

Hazards: power lines run alongside the bridge.

Accessibility: the site I flew from is very definitely not step free.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 26/08/2020. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

5 Likes

Been busy! :wink:

Thanks for adding to the DroneScene map, @kvetner. :+1:

1 Like

If you haven’t tried it, park in the bigger of the 2 lay-by’s on the A5 before the Brittania, look over the wall and follow the path down the edge of the field, turn right at the bottom and walk the duck boards on the shoreline. There is a gap in the wall on the left which gets you onto a small grassy platform at the water edge. Your on the other side of the Brittania but with the house on the rock ahead of you. No super grid to worry about and a fine spot for open water flying but easy LOS. If you find a bedraggled fellow having a kip, its ok its only me hiding from the wife.

1 Like