Brougham Castle, Penrith

Another one on my hit list of flights for after lockdown. My interpretation of the below sign at the entrance is no drone use whilst exploring the site. Should be ok out of hours and TOAL on a public footpath/area near the site.

Btw I don’t smoke, metal detect or do commercial photography either!!!

10 Likes

Drones prohibited yet Virgin launch balloon flights in the field next door???

3 Likes

Didn’t know that @BusyBee. I would assume they confiscate all cameras from people onboard before take off :joy::joy:

So … we organise a “GADC Balloon Trip” … from the field “Next Door” (that they probably own and get a cut from), and we all fly our drones from the balloon (with balloon pilot’s ok, of course).

Anyone fancy a ride in a balloon?

4 Likes

Castle is on my to do list too. But I really like the balloon idea.

2 Likes

Yip. Loving that idea. With half the Lake District owned by them, I wonder just how many EH and NT properties we could fly over!! :+1:

2 Likes

Virgin launch from 3 sites in the area. One being Brougham Castle, also Appleby Castle and Dalemain Hall. Camera’s allowed at all stages of the flight from filling the balloon to final packing away. My wife and I did one a few years ago and yes the view is just what you get from a drone. Both EH and NT have no problem with any flights of a large balloon over any part of their properties which is commercial. But a private drone, oh no, you can’t do that.

2 Likes

As in many threads in the forum about this issue, it really doesn’t make any sense whatsoever and these balloon flights just make a mockery of their own so called rules! It would be interesting to compare some photos taken from a balloon to something taken by the likes of @Tonymc. He has gotten into difficulties with the NT wanting him to remove his photos from various media. (Different thread) But I wonder if there maybe some defence by comparing the two scenarios! Just a thought!

1 Like

My take on this. Most people take a balloon flight for just that, the flight & the views. If they happen to go over NT or EH, that’s by chance with the balloon at the mercy of the winds. Flying a drone over NT or EH property is intentional.

1 Like

Best get your crayons out for your next doodle, then.

1 Like

Nice parking layby right opposite (its actually a dead end road that has private gates about 200 yards down it, so its public till the gates, then there is a nice pavement bit just after the bridge across the river, ideal control point with full view of the castle. People allowed back out soon and can meet 1 person, but will be quite a while I imagine before places like Brougham Castle can reopen.

1 Like

Point taken @Crackerjack. But my understanding of the NT/EH stance on drone flights is the issue of nuisance, photography and/or privacy concerns. Certainly in the recent discussions on here anyway. Intentional or not is there any difference in a drone or a balloon flight with regards to the above. (Apart for one being a dam sight bigger than the other.) As @Pterodactyl also points out by chance isn’t always the case.

2 Likes

Nice point well made!

1 Like

there is an air ambulance base just to the north east of Brougham castle, they may well fly overhead deliberatly. Its not restricted airspace though, so as long as they obay the rules and give right of way to the balloon there is no issue.

1 Like

There is a massive difference. If the balloon was to come down and hit a building its gonna cause some damage with a basket full of folk on board. Compared to a small drone. Which might scratch a roof tile as it slides off.
The balloon is more likely to scare wildlife on takeoff, landing or low flying with the roar of the burner and the huge size if it, compared to a drone which generally buzzes off high enough to not be noticed. So to be fair I think that shoots EH&NT reasoning out the water for not allowing drones to take off and land on their land. As for flying over their land or property.
I don’t see why comercial or hobby balloonist are permitted/accepted to fly with cameras over NT OR EH property and us as hobby drone users are not permitted. Surely this comes under discrimination of our hobby when you look at people that fly balloons, parragliders, etc.

1 Like

It probably reflects the wishes of most of their members/visitors. It’s got nothing to do with the pictures themselves they only want them taken down so as not to encourage more drone flying in NT areas. Generally speaking people actually quite like seeing hot air balloons flying whereas they don’t react anything like as favourably to drones. I wouldn’t ever try and tell anyone where to fly or not but I do think it’s worth it as drone fliers to understand the actual basis of some of these policies especially if you want to try to argue against them.

Anyone know where I can buy a hot air balloon disguise for a Parrot anafi?

4 Likes

I’ve no intention of fighting them. There are plenty other places to fly.
It was just an observation of what’s been said on here and other sites regarding NT & EH.

1 Like

Not that I’d be up for challenging it in a court of law . But isn’t there something about NOT taking off from EH/NT land due to the posted signage . But you could potentially fly from adjacent private or public property (adhering to other laws etc obviously) say with a sub 250g drone . As EH/NT DON’T control the airspace ?
I kind of understand the nuisance and safety aspect to some extent from EH/NT’s point of view . Especially as there’s going to be “that one person” who takes an Inspire or the like up there at the height of tourist season . Then posts the results in prominent places for the press to get hold of . Suddenly we’re ALL enemy no.1 again .

But I personally can’t see the difference in photographing historical structures from a hot air balloon and capturing similar images from a drone in a safe and responsible manner . Say after closing and with minimal people .

The argument of drone photography promoting more drone flights doesn’t sit well with me either .
ANY aerial photo/video promotes the use of a drone surely ? From throwing a Go-Pro off a cliff to strapping one to the back of a bird of prey . Or on the helmet of a stunt motorcylist (X-Games) or stood on the roof of a tall building , for me all scenarios that make me personally want to capture similar images with my drone .

As an aside I wonder what the legalities of filming the Virgin balloon flight from a safe distance on public land adjacent to the take off and EH/NT property would be ???

2 Likes

Very well put @DJIfreedom . I wonder what would happen if on take off the balloon malfunction in such a way the it struck the castle or came down on the small visitors centre. Not sure about anyone else but if my drone hit any of these I,d be looking to buy a new drone with very little damage to the buildings I,m sure. I fairly sure someone standing in a balloon basket with a DLSR camera complete with a zoom lense would be far more intrusive than any drone.