Bye-Laws - interfere with exercise and recreation

A few Byelaws listed on a sign, not a council - but quango. Two example

You Shall not: -

Byelaw X: ERECT ANY TENT OR SHELTER

Byelaw Y. FLY MODEL AIRCRAFT

(No other details on sign)

Were upon reading the bye-law X is:-

…No unauthorised person shall encamp upon the Commons,…
Ok - quite clear.

Buy Y is:-

No unauthorised person shall do, aid in, or abet any act or thing which may not in these Bye-laws be specifically mentioned, and which may tend to the injury or disfigurement of the Commons, or to interfere with the use thereof by the public for the purpose of exercise and recreation.

Thoughts on enforceable ?
Thoughts on seeking a clarification ?
Worth asking when/how not to interfere ?

Kept details on where, when for now.

I’d say you are the public, and it’s for your recreation… seems like the byelaw is there specifically to allow you to fly your drone :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hmmm, I can’t see that flying a sub 250gm drone at 100m is interfering with the public exercising or having some recreation ?

2 Likes

don’t poke the bear, just ignore it.

be polite at all times and just enjoy your recreation

we leave the places we fly in a better condition than ramblers and dog walkers.

ie don’t ask a question that has a yes or no answer…

check dronescene on the day and you are good to go!

You can find out if there is a bylaw through DS by using the local Authority icon and checking the FOI for the area concerned.

2 Likes

Ahhh, dogs get in the way of my running regularly, so I assume dogs are nowhere to be seen here.

I guess taking a plane or quad off in middle of a football pitch that kids are playing on would be interfering, but sensible flight should be fine.

Their rule just says no RC craft? Pffft…

Attach a sting to it and it will no longer be RC but tethered… (BS baffles brains)

Clouncil will probably deem it a “kite” and as always, ya canna fly kites round here mate. :joy::joy::joy::joy:

[Byelaws](https://Archive Link to Bye-Laws)

*(They have just updated the website and removed the actual bye-laws. - So Archive links instead)

Nice one Brendan. ( second link doesn’t open ) First link is to the 1894 bye laws. Great reading. No unauthorised person will injure ice on any pond :open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth: ( so be very careful in winter that you don’t fall through and injure the ice ) :joy::joy::joy::joy:

@bmsleight Bylaw on model aircraft is extant so up to you to risk it I guess Brendan. :wink:

Colin - my google skills lacking - got that url ?

The reason why I am pushing this as it would be a great accessible site for a meet-up.

Wow what a co-incidence a FOI raised, by Grahame Rows.

Looks like it"s been superceded.
BM10___Commons_byelaws.pdf (352.5 KB)

Is the the council open space not the commons ?
Banstead Commons not listed…

Well I’m no expert but why have 2 different Bylaws for the same authority? The original one I took the screenshot of looked ancient!

They are not the same authority - one is Banstead Conservators the other is Banstead Council

The commons land is owned by the Council but a 19th Century agreement exists between the Conservators and the Council with the latter handing over the management to the former. Their website Here is a joke TBH and after looking through their backslapping drivel I am no wiser!

Fancy a job there! Jobsworth crap post for a sucker who needs the cash.

Original moth eaten Bylaw they supplied to answer Simon Hawkins FOI request. and is signed off by the Council in 1993. I wonder if the Conservators website is flawed because the 21st Century document usurps it. I would ignore the bylaw and look into the SSSi Here that surrounds the area instead!