Can I fly at Drummond Castle, Perthshire, Scotland?

Does anyone know if you can fly here or fly into this castle? I wanted to take some evening drone shots

Hi @anniemae It looks as though you’re quite new here :wave:t2:

Why not nip over the introductions page and say hello properly and tell us a bit about yourself.

There are no airspace restrictions in this area:

Take off from somewhere suitable :wink:

2 Likes

As above, there are no restrictions. Finding a suitable TOAL spot (not on their land) to stay within VLOS is the problem. The gardens have been on my radar for a wee while but I’ve only looked on maps so far and not made an actual trip yet! I’m around 40 minutes away and thinking of an excursion this weekend to scope it out. They have used a lot of drone shots in their own advertising and marketing, so they obviously don’t have a hatred of them. This is one of the few times where politely asking permission might be worthwhile? Answer will probably still be no, but…

1 Like

Yeah it is, I passed last summer and thought I’d grab a quick drone pic but couldn’t find a suitable toal spot for the trees. Tbh, didn’t spend a lot of time as I was on the way to a job, but could be worth checking out some of the local back roads.

I have spent quite a bit of time on google maps and the core paths website and can’t find anything. It’s surrounded by fields which might be a good spot if not in crop or full of beasts. One option I have thought of was just to drive down to their carpark, you only pay to get into the gardens. Then go for a wee walk around to find somewhere quiet, I’ve heard dog walkers use the area so it’s publicly accessible. If I get asked to leave then I’ll pack up and leave.

Sounds like a plan :+1: Let us know how you get on, I may do the same :+1:

It was watching a recent re-run of the movie Rob Roy that put me in the mood for a flight there.

The gardens do look spectacular, particularly in autumn (not my pics, though I wish it was! lol - © Katielee Arrowsmith)

Yeah the gardens look pretty stunning, seemingly one of the best in Europe and reckoned to have been there since the 1400’s in one form or another. The castle also has a fair bit of history as well.

The blue roads are public, the red is deffo private, the yellow one I think is private too but then the google maps cameras have been down it. And after checking on council website it is indeed private. But it’s not too far a walk over the fields. I reckon it’s about 6 or 700mtrs from the public road, so VLOS with a mini2 is out.

Edit:
I’ve also now been on CROW (catalogue of rights of way) and there’s nothing anywhere close. But as we have public access rights in Scotland any of the fields can be crossed as long as they don’t have crops in them :grin:

I’ve just emailed them and asked if TOAL is allowed, and of course the answer was
“Unfortunately the use of drones is not permitted in and around the site of the castle or gardens”
Through the fields it is then.

“in” is fair
“around” is not legally correct.

Depends on what you mean by “in”?
I wouldn’t try to fly in the castle, but I will fly in their boundary, and over the gardens, I might not fly directly over the castle as it is a private residence, although still perfectly legal. I’ll see how I feel on the day.

1 Like