Can I fly over a/any Church

Hi, so sorry if this has been asked before but I’ve spent 40mins searching on here to no avail…

Am I legally able to fly my sub 250g drone over/round a church please?

I’ve searched online too and see loads of videos/still images of churches but can’t find a definitive answer.

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes you can. Even if it is in an FRZ, as long as you have permission from ATC of course.

3 Likes

We genuinely thank you :bowing_man:t2:

As @mynameisjoe said, as long as your flight is within the confines of the drone code, a church is no different from any other building.

Perhaps spare a respectful thought for those of a religious belief and maybe don’t fly around it if it’s currently occupied.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the speedy replies, much appreciated.

What really confuses me is the lack of correct legal info online - the CAA website doesn’t clearly state that a church is the same as any other building… well, not that I could see anyway LOL

My issue is (yes, I’m an overthinker!) if I am challenged by anyone while flying round a church (or anywhere within reason) I would prefer to be able to quote The CAA, or .GOV etc - something official rather than “Fred on the forum said it’s ok” - I mean absolutely no disrespect but you get my point :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Indeed… Some divine geo fencing may take place! :grin:

4 Likes

Sorry, another thought/question…

So (assuming I’m not in a FRZ or other restricted airspace) nobody can stop me flying a sub 250g drone over a building even if the building has a “policy” eg.

and what about The National Trust - I’ve read that you can fly “over” their land as long as you don’t take off/land on it??

1 Like

Mmmm, yes I’ll have to give serious consideration to that :wink: LOL

1 Like

Hi @DamoVit, it looks as though you’re quite new here :wave:t2:

Why not nip over to the Introductions page, and say hello properly and tell us a bit about yourself. :+1:t2:

1 Like

They can stop you taking off/landing on their land, but can’t stop you over flying if you take off/land somewhere else nearby (road/path, etc, etc)…

Obviously flying over people, endangering others, etc, etc can be an issue, so when no one there, and no one in grave yard I’d suggest, why not. I got some lovely pictures of a local church when I first got my mini 1. It can be confusing, I agree with you, but as I’ve continued and gained confidence I’m taking more of a “just do it” attitude. It’s my hobby, and I’ll enjoy it, whilst trying to be as little of a nuisance as possible.

5 Likes

Challenges often occur due to people not understanding the rules and also being worried that you are using the drone for less honest means.

Many encounters that I’ve had or heard about near churches tend to be with either those who are concerned that you are checking if you can relieve the church of the lead flashing or simply older people who don’t understand drones as they are “new”.

Engage with people and show them what you can see. I find that often tends to make people feel at ease and in many cases they can see the awesome sights we get to see

5 Likes

Here’s a few of the churches I’ve photographed with my drones. Most definitely not off limits :grin:

Stop worrying and over thinking the rules just follow the drone code use drone scene to check for FRZ’s if non you’re good to go especially with a sub 250g drone you’re golden :+1:t2:

7 Likes

Just be careful of churches with spires. They attract drones :wink::wink:

Thank all for the excellent advice :+1: (and superb images)

I’ve just been out to a local church and had a ‘run in’ with a lady telling me “it’s private! no access” - the sign at the end of the road said “no public right of way - access to church only” - I explained that and her reply was “it’s only access for worship” - I was polite and courtious and explained that I would not visit again (which I won’t - I don’t need the agro) - she was also bothered about the horses that were in the surrounding fields but at least 800-1000 feet away - I told her that I would never fly near animals and I didn’t… I’ll post the images when I get a chance :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh well, guess I’ll have to find another church/building/thing… :grin:

2 Likes

Nah, just take off from the roadside not the private land. Public rights of way are your best friend.

But to be honest if you’ve already got your images of the church there isn’t much point in flying there again anyways. Fly first apologise after and move on to the next :+1:t2:

you haven’t broken any laws and the most they can pin you on is tresspass but if you left when asked to do so they haven’t even got that on you so don’t worry about it :+1:t2:

3 Likes

This :point_up:

2 Likes

It can be quite difficult at first, especially if you don’t know the ins and outs, and there is further research needed for every location. Post a link to the location you were flying at the church and we can have a look?
If the road you mentioned is on private land then yes, they can ask you to leave it. Remaining may constitute tresspass. But all is not lost, find some public ground nearby, a road, a street, a car park. Anywhere that is publicly accessible for you to take off and land. Fly at a decent height so nobody can hear the drone and you’re not upsetting anyone (I would avoid Sundays and funerals out of respect for others). And if you happen to see some people laying flowers then walk away and let them have their space, you can go back another day. Just remember, the only people in the UK that can deny your flight is the CAA. Stick to their rules, be respectful (to a point) and all is good in the hood!!!

3 Likes

@DamoVit , I too have been thinking through what is lawful, and what is simply courteous behaviour, unlike you with a sub 250g I am a little more restricted, but I intend to type up a word doc that summarises the info relevant to my drone category, then incorporate the relevant elements into my pre-flight risk assessment.

I also intend to have the rules that I am flying under, encapsulated and carry it with me when out and about. This , together with the risk assessment can then be used to demonstrate to any concerned member of the public that what you are doing is legal, responsibly thought through and considerate.

Love them or loathe them, there is a bunch of You Tubers about who regularly demonstrate that most security guards and police constables and even many senior ranking officers are not familiar with the law and the codes which regulate flying, many poorly informed members of the public do not understand that whilst they can restrict what people do whilst on their property, they have no absolute right to privacy and cannot prevent unintrusive overflying. In short they do not own, or control the airspace above their land.

So far as I am aware, the main/ (poss only?) FRZs are military and security service establishments, prisons, airports and areas designated from time to time by the CAA as safety requirements require. I am very new to this and still learning myself, but churches and even police operational premises have no such restriction.

1 Like

Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated. I am new to aerial photography and would prefer to do this without hassle (as I’m sure you all do too), so I have a lot to learn… It’s so disapointing that there is no definitive CAA/.GOV website that explains everything in plain English… I’ve read the CAA Drone and Model Aircraft Code and have an operator/flyer ID but I am still in the dark on several points…

I was flying here - I flew for approx. 5 mins, never over/near animals or even “over” the church…

https://goo.gl/maps/BnhQfcVcb71A94eU6

Check out our own good to go (plain English)

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll definitely read that! :slight_smile:

1 Like