Cathedral "rules" clarification needed

so on Lichfield Cathedral’s own site they state:

“We acknowledge that there are some non-commercial users who have the correct training or
permission from the Civil Aviation Authority (or CAA) to operate unmanned aircraft or drones
legally. However, even if you are fully certificated, you will still need to obtain permission to fly
within the Cathedral precinct as it is private property”

and…

“*Please note, there is strictly no drone photography permitted
Lichfield Cathedral does not permit the use of any unmanned aircraft system or drone within its
grounds without prior approval.
We will also need to be satisfied that the drone operator has an appropriate insurance policy and that a flight plan has been carefully followed.”

I can’t see how this is legally enforceable am I wrong?

Link to their site

EDIT:
A message from the Dean
“We’ve been a bit pestered by the buzzing of naughty people flying drones round The Close and Cathedral recently. (By the way, drone-flying round here isn’t permitted. It’s a potential danger to the Cathedral’s fabric and glass and drone-snooping can be construed as a prelude to criminal activity, so I’m afraid the police will be called if we see any drones in the air over The Close.”

We must all be criminals in the eyes of these people.

1 Like

I’d say the answer is there:

Lichfield Cathedral does not permit the use of any unmanned aircraft system or drone within its grounds without prior approval.

They can dictate who TOAL from their property but not overflying, take off from Beacon St or the big field behind it.

1 Like

They can blow bubbles. This is the same thing the National Trust and the canal and river Trust try to pull. (Loads of threads on here)
Use dronescene for a legal toal & fly
Above all, just be reasonable, responsible and enjoy the flight.
Also, post the pics

2 Likes

Simply TOAL from somewhere outside cathedral land. A public place. They cannot stop you if you’re not on their land as they don’t own the airspace. Pestered by “naughty people” :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Jeez, it’s just lucky criminals haven’t heard about satellite imagery on google maps/elsewhere!

Ahh yes, lots of lead in old cathedrals. :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Next they will be issuing pigeons with flying permits! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

not a very Christian attitude that when the presumption is everything is a prelude to criminal activity.

so much for being open and welcoming to all… except as long as you are not of THAT sort…

I would politely let them know they can swivel on it… even TOAL is a civil trespass matter… so there is sweet FA they could do.

yes if you damage it then you pay for it… that is why we pay insurance… if I knew it wasn’t going to happen I wouldn’t pay for insurance… if I was certain it was going to happen I wouldn’t do it and if it was a possibility… I’d take out insurance…

2 Likes

it isnt enforceable

This is why auditors do what they do. These sites need to be blanketed with drone fliers. They will then get the message.

No, the twats do it for “views”

3 Likes

Views mean money ;o)

2 Likes

Yes I know that, so yeah they do it for the Ps

They can’t stop you overflying… but… If they’re going to call the police whenever they see a drone above their grounds you’re going to need to be sure you’re sticking to the rest of the rules.

A quick look at Google maps would suggest they own quite a bit of the land around the cathedral. It’s heavily built on and surrounded by a mix of 2-3 storey buildings and high walls. Looks like you’ll need to be 150-200m away to get a clear TOAL point, and you’ll need to be flying pretty high to keep your drone in VLOS.

this is interesting 1 of our members @CJDrone flew on this Cathedral just 3 months ago, I think I’ll take his lead and just play dumb & fly from any public space I like.
great video too.

4 Likes

Looks fine to me.

Cathedral boundary (couldn’t find any newer land registry maps) …

Same but with Google Maps, ideal TOAL marked by green cross (public land) …

No restrictions on Drone Scene, and only 70m with clear VLOS from the ground …

Easily accessible via car and on foot …

3 Likes

The view towards the cathedral from the same spot as your streetview image:

I’m not saying you couldn’t fly from there, but not a whole lot of the cathedral is in VLOS so you’ll need to fly accordingly is all.

That view was for parking, not TOAL.

2 Likes

As mentioned in my original post …

Green cross = TOAL
Red cross = Parking

1 Like