Caught Out - Mini Props Screwdriver - Airline Check-in

Just returned from a holiday in Fuerteventura. Very little chance to fly, as the island lived up to its name.

However, the reason for my post. I carried my drone gear in a rucksack that i usually use to carry my gear. However, on the security check at Manchester, my rucksack had to be checked as the scanner had warned of a sharp object. After a few minutes checking through everything realised that the little screwdriver that i use to change blades was tucked under a bag of spare blades. Once removed, the bag was cleared.
To be fair to the security personnel, they went out of their way to try and clear it, once i explained what it was used for, even consulting their supervisors.

My own fault; i just never considered it.

1 Like

Not long returned from here didn’t get chance to use the drone as where I was was smack bang under the airport flight path :man_facepalming:

Calleta ?

Yep lol :joy: going back next January and going further south so no restrictions

Our second favourite resort. Loved going down by the harbour then watching the chipmunks in and around the rocks ( first favourite is Playas De Las Americas in Tenerife)

1 Like

Toilet.

Costa Adeje is a lot nicer , been doing Tenerife 3 times or so a year for about 20 years.

Nah Adeje is far too hilly for my frail legs these days ( and just in case you think that’s bad ) We once went to Puerto de Santiago / Los Gigantes. Place is full of cardiac inducing hills :joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

That was part of my problem too. We also hired a car for two days and travelled all over the island. Unfortunately, these were the two windiest days too!

Strange that. I’ve taken mine with me in the DJI flymore bag through customs at least 4 times and never had an issue. :thinking:

Friend of mine was stopped by security at an airport for having a hot glue gun in his carry on luggage ( part of the toolkit he used on electronics jobs) He pointed out that it was totally harmless unless it was plugged into the mains electric. After they’d called a supervisor he was allowed on his way.

Did they confiscate the screwdriver and allow your LiPos into the cabin? - erg

@dicktonyboy LiPo batteries in cabin luggage should be no problem Richard. Airlines follow the IATA iinternational aviation regulations. It’s established clear rules for flying with power banks and LiPo batteries. You can take 2 power banks with you on the plane with an allowed capacity of up to 27,000mAh (100Wh). The same limit is applied to LiPo batteries ie 100Wh maximum and as drone batteries are generally less than 10Wh it should never be an issue. You have to consider the two together though as 100Wh is applied to each person. I split them between me and the missus’ hand luggage.

I don’t think its a requirement but I put all 3 x mini 4 Pro batteries in a LiPo fire retardent pack (you can leave one in the drone but I don’t). I also leave them to discharge to 75% before I go but that’s not a requirement either. Customs have absolutely no interest in drones in my experience (they told me to put it mine back in its case as it’s not required for their checks) yet they want laptops, tablets, phones and watches on display in the trays?

2 Likes

Not to be confused with airport security who also have little interest (unless it’s DXB)

1 Like

Indeed Chris. :laughing::laughing:

Batteries were in a fireproof case. They took the tip off the screwdriver.

1 Like

@what with Steve? Might as well have binned it without it’s tip! :thinking:

I flew to Cancun, Mexico in June 22 via Gatwick. I took three standard batteries with me for my Mini 3 Pro. I placed all three batteries in individual fire/explosive proof bags and the drone in my carry on bag. Passing through security was a breeze with one of the security team removing one of the batteries from my bag, looking at it for about twenty seconds ( in which time my heartbeat went stratospheric) and then placing it back in my bag. No further comment was made and he seemed very unfazed by it. As a bonus, I managed to take some great footage and photos whilst out there and hope to repeat the process again soon. :ok_hand:

3 Likes