Chasewater - Added to Lakes and Reservoirs in West Midlands

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

Car park charges at peak times, flying is permitted but with certain guideline being a SSSI, and a risk of disturbing wildlife.

4 Likes

This is a cracking area to fly a drone especially on a nice day when the boats are out I tend to fly from the beach on the Chasetown side as its relatively quiet.

1 Like

Could u please tell me if i need permission to fly here thank u in advance

No permission needed just follow the guidelines as stated on website copy of these in post #1 in this thread :+1:

1 Like

Thank you @Sunseeker

Hi all after going up chasewater today to fly my drone i was very quickly approached by the rangers who have informed me that i cannot fly over chasewater as its a certain kind of nature reserve … Now the post from higher up in the thread which was the railway also does not apply as they have told me they have also had to stop People flying over there to.
Now if i go off the NATS DRONE app i cant see any restrictions or see that its a nature reserve… im very very confused what are people’s thoughts
Thank you in advance

@Zinoreaper Well the rules of chase water state that drones have to keep 50m away from railway, sidings, platforms and also states within CAA rules so who do we listen to, on the east beach looking at it from pier there is a small path leading to a lay-by so could take off and land from there, @anon20379288 have you had any issues ? as you arrange meets there. The rangers said they have had to stop flying by railway ??

Literally been today and they pointed out that the rules i showed them http://www.chasewaterrailway.co.uk/plan-your-visit/bicycles-dronesscooters-skates-similar/
Is to-do with the railway not chasewater the rangers told me so i went to the railway and asked the man in charge to be told that chasewater have made him ban drones to due to the wildlife …
Even this manager told me that he disagrees with them he said if the steam train doesn’t scare the wildlife then a drone wont …

can u see why im super confused

He then told me no trains were running today so feel free to park on the road the other side the bank and fly by the railway …

@Sunseeker i just wanted people to be aware of the issues [its like the rangers was in very bad mood very blunt and arrogant]

i was probably 100 yards away from where u fly from and was gutted

Such a nice clear day with no wind at all the footage would of been stunning today

A couple of us are meeting up the chase tomorrow if you fancy joining us

What time do you all meet @Sunseeker

We are meeting about 1pm at Glacial Boulder Car Park

@Sunseeker unfortunately i will be at work i have mondays and sundays off but if u ever do one on those days I will deffo try get over to meet you guys

Will do mate :+1:

1 Like

Been a while since anyone posted on here but just to clarify! :frowning:

Parks in Burntwood – Overview (lichfielddc.gov.uk)

" Drones & metal detecting

We do not allow drones to be flown in our parks or metal detecting to take place."

Yet they mention no byelaw or legislation

Thankfully we can still fly over them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@PingSpike. Just checked with Chasewater and apparently they are now under the protection of an SSSI through Natural England, and permission to fly under licence is required!? This was sent to me from a very helpful guy from the Sailing Club, who said he will welcome me with open arms if I can get a licence from them:

Natural England

• You’ll need permission and licence when using drones above Natural England’s land to avoid disturbing wildlife. Drones should not be flown on or over Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) or Special Protection Areas (SPAs) without consent from Natural England.
  • If you’re not sure if you need a licence, contact Natural England wildlife@naturalengland.org.uk to make sure you can carry out your activity without committing an offence.’

I was told by another Chasewater Park guy that the rep from the sailing club was also a DO, which makes sense as the passage above is an extract from Drone Safe.

I’m still waiting for them to respond to my calls! Kind of kept away from Bird sancturies etc because of the above but there’s nowt on Drone Scene to suggest its an offence to fly here. :thinking:

Have you flown at Chasewater recently?

I don’t think any of the birds over Chasewater will be nesting at this time of the year, and I should think the sailing club and the jet skis would disturb them a lot more than a sub 250 drone 200 feet in the air.

1 Like