Chasing LUTs It’s like chasing your own tail

Vegas Pro 19 which just had a massive update, am also using Nvidia Studio graphics firmware instead of gaming firmware which Vegas keeps track of for firmware updates.

Vegas is now giving the option to utilise the graphics card and in my case it’s a GTX2080Ti 12GB or CPU and 64GB at its disposal for rendering.

I’ve had rendering of clips at over 20fps at 4K 24-60fps. I believe I can improve that performance as soon as I free up the M.2 1TB Nvme to render to as it reads like it’s on steroids, then upload to other storage.

I’ll be lifting the PC tomorrow to make these changes, been putting it off due to all the bloody wires at the back and under my desk….:hot_face:

Forgot to mention that it’s a simple click to send the PC into over clocking for editing and once finished just click it back…

1 Like

I thought that’s what I remembered. Had it been Resolve, their new Colour Space Transform (not sure if available in the free version) does an amazing job for D-Log, and far better than any LUT. It’s a whole new approach.

I’ve got the paid version and It’s definitely got more than I know is in there since this massive update.

I’m over the moon with the various camera profiles, even for “Red D-Log to Rec-709”, It’s also a simple click to import any D-Log. I’ve uploaded the Inspire 2 X5S D-Log to Rec 709 to play with…

Here’s a clip I’d abandoned last year as I couldn’t get the White Balance as it was overcast, it’s an experiment to find out how much of the camera profile I need to apply.

As I say - I’ve abandoned LUTS for the initial D-Log to Rec709 in favour of this new function. It’s not a variable function - it just does what is mathematically accurate for the conversion. Then one can tweak for the conditions of the day, and subjective preference.

eg … river in Scotland a couple of weeks back …

1 Like

That’s different, and sounds interesting. Vegas has an AI which I’m yet to see how it works.

The D-Log camera profile looks like it compensates for lens and sensor so it’s a must have. which you then need to adjust using the vectorscope to stay within the acceptable limits but allows for far more artistic adventures.

It’s just awesome to be able to learn new tricks and just loving Grading, personally I won’t be relying on AI as I really want to mess about for our home entertainment for now….lol

Yeah - in resolve the Colour Space Transform only does the D-Log (or whichever one is using) to Rec707 (or other, if using), the camera/lens correction is a separate adjustment function.