Clifton Backies and Concentrically Out

After months and months of looking at UToob videos of drone footage and drone recommendations, I was triggered to get a Mini 2 when I found the new sub-250g rules that come into effect at New Year. Looking forward to going back over all my Yorkshire Dales, Lakes, Yorkshire Coast walks to get an aerial perspective. Looking forward to getting Hullo Bridge just over the rise from Middleham, for example. Also really keen to go back to Shropshire and get Caradoc. Closer to home I’ll stay dry while flying over the very squishy Roman Marching Camp at Clifton Backies, on the edge of York. Might find out why the Romans bothered to put a Camp in the middle of a marsh.

I like the “Where to Fly” topic as that should help validate some of the places I want to fly. I’d be interested to know if there is a related topic on “Controversies Surrounding Where Some Folk Think You Shouldn’t Be Flying”, and suggested workarounds.

Got my Operator ID. Will get Flyer ID after a bit more flying experience and more reading of the Regs.

2 Likes

Hi @PimRoad and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts as your membership level increases :blush:

Welcome once again!

1 Like

Hi Stephen welcome to the club happy flying

Hi Stephen - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

Hi Stephen. Welcome to GADC. :+1:

@PimRoad welcome

Hi Stephen and welcome to GADC :+1: :+1:

Hi… Welcome to the Club :+1: :+1:

Managed to add myself to the members map: Clifton Backies is the local nature reserve where we can fly without exciting too much ire. First decent flying day today, so I flew from the wife’s allotment. The Mini 2 gets to be an indistinct smudge from about 65 metres out, so 500 metres is way beyond my VLOS. First grapple with editing the video results, . which I won’t be displaying here. Too much flying at inconsistent speeds, yawing back and forth and general jerkiness. Picking music to fit, in length and mood is going to be another learning curve too. I’m using Openshot on Linux, and did hack a successful video out of it. Good job we have more bad weather than good here in Yorkshire, cause substantialy more time is going to be spent in post-production than actual flying. As well as planning flights, and trying to minimize revisits because of failures.

That sounds usual

Hi Pimroad and welcome.
I’m based in York and fly in the area when I can. If you ever need some company let me know.
Good luck and enjoy the area from a whole new perspective.

Have you been down to the Uni to fly over the Velodrome (which I have never seen used in the 5 years I’ve been here)? I’m aiming to check that out, as well as the Ings up and down by the River. I usually get around within and around the Ring Road by Brompton, or the single speed big wheel bike, and, I’m retired so weekdays are good.

Yes. Milkmanchris is the man to answer any questions regarding the uni.
He took a couple of us to a suitable location that side of Heslington. Enjoyable evening flying. Not been since with the mini 3 or the Avata though.

The Ings is a pleasant location to fly. Summertime following the boats is quite relaxing.
I find myself edging to the mini 3 pro more these days as there are less restrictions compared to my Mavic Pro and Avata.
The Avata is great but crap on range. The Mavic has a soft spot in me being first drone. Sadly it’s weight means I can’t fly the areas in enjoy with the mini. Plus night flying with the mini 3 pro is quite amazing quality footage wise.

Always best if naming someone to use the @milkmanchris so they a notification :wink:

True. Been a while😜

1 Like

Y’all should come up to the Backies when it’s a bit drier: I think the BurDike was created to drain the Roman camp, about 2000 years ago and it is a totally canalized watercourse all the way down to the Ouse - via Water Lane, which the Bur Dike runs under and frequently over, hence the name. Some flying over it all the way down from the Roman Camp at the back of the car dealerships on Clifton Moor might be illuminating.

2 Likes