Co-ordinates link issue (plus W3W link)

I think that’s what it’s supposed to do.

1 Like

As above rich always opened in the app for me on iOS

I don’t have the app installed, maybe that’s why it’s taking me direct to their web site:

Interesting then that with the w3w app installed on both android and iOS, that iOS knows to open the app and android doesn’t. I wonder what the different is :thinking:

Chris when you installed the app on iOS did you accept or set a preference to open w3w links in the app instead of the browser?

I just installed the app and it launches me straight in to the app from Drone Scene.

I didn’t have to agree to anything or change any settings. Magic :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Ages ago Rich, u might be better installing it virgin yourself

Ok, I’ll see if I can target the app directly on android. Not sure what it’ll do if the all is not installed though.

I’d like the behaviour to be the same on all devices, but not always possible.

Will report back :+1:t2:

2 Likes

I have never used W3W, and didn’t have the app until 5 mins ago. As mentioned by many others, clicking on this …

… opens in my Android phone’s browser (Chrome), not the recently installed app.

Clicking on the words took me to the app on my Mini android phone and yes was Selby location.

2 Likes

@1977paul what device and android version are you on ?

Not sure if my reply got through, in poor internet area, my apologies the link took me to the W3W web page not the app. :frowning:

1 Like

It indeed opens up in my what3words app in Safari on iPhone, running latest iOS (not part of any beta test program).

I would be happy to delete the w3w app and try if it helps?

In this case, isn’t the lowest common denominator to open in a Web browser? It might be irksome to those with the w3w app, but you can be fairly sure opening in a browser is going to work on most devices.

What happens if android users long click on the link

1 Like

As above Chris :point_up:t2:

2 Likes

Yeah which it does on android . iOS users can only ‘force’ that behaviour .

To be clear, there’s 2 “W3W” links. With a location opened by clicking the icon in dronescene, it opens a dronescene window with the coord and W3W links. Clicking the W3W link here opens the location in the list format and it’s from there I’m clicking the link expecting it to open in W3W app.

I’m a iOS user :sunglasses:

This is my understanding — which I must admit may be flawed — on iPhone, if the what3words.com website contains a specific file in a specific location, Safari will find it, read its contents and use that to look for an app with a specific name (in this case it would be the what3words app). If that app is installed, it is launched, and given the URL to parse.

So effectively, the w3w app developer, working in conjunction with the w3w web developer decide if the web page or app would open when a URL is tapped. If there’s no app (or file) it gracefully falls back to opening a web page.

I’m not sure if this helps explain what’s going on for iPhone (and iPad) users.