Cold Air Temperature Impact on MP Battery

Two identical Litchi flights - same day - same battery - one when it was still bloody early/cold and one when the air was a lot warmer.

Even the early morning cold one, the battery had only just been taken from a very warm car (engine was running charging another battery).

The lower one was in the cold, obviously.

Both traces start at take-off … but being at a new location I’d had to wait a good minute after switching on to get a GPS fix for the early/cold flight … and already the voltage was that bit lower, … but then plummeted immediately after starting the motors.
It rises, a bit, as the heat generated in the battery (by using it in flight) starts to warm it up … but it never reaches the trace of the flight when it was warm and sunny.

Now - you might think that they were charged differently, but at the far left you can see the coloured lines dropping very rapidly … I’ve zoomed on with the earliest values I can get on the cursor pop-up.

The only difference was for first flight (in the cold) the battery had been charged the evening before - whereas the later/warmer flight the battery had been charged perhaps an hour before.

I need to repeat this exercise - for this very purpose - rather than randomly bumping into it whilst looking for something on AirData.

And when I do it intentionally - I’ll hover at the end and take it down to 5% on each flight.

1 Like

I should add that the air temps were about +1°C and 15°C … so, still not “warm”.

Yeah - right - days with that kind of temp range are so common around here … let alone ones with no rain and sensible winds. #DontHoldYourBreaths! :stuck_out_tongue:

I tell the Mrs this all the time.

On a similar issue, I’ve always thought that the batteries seem to last longer when flying abroad in sunnier climbs, I have no hard evidence yet, but aim to look back now and find out.

Those graphs support that … it’s going to get to whatever voltage it deems as the % you set as critical earlier.

That’s only 10 minutes - and it’s obvious that the two graphs are getting closer … which makes sense. That’s why I’d like to do this intentionally and take it down to 5%. I should add a much warmer summer day to the same analysis, too. Even in the UK 15 isn’t hot … but chances are the impact 13 degs higher is less than the 13 degs between those two.

Perhaps MIRA would let me borrow their climate simulation laboratory for a day …. :stuck_out_tongue:

Can only ask

Used to have a good contact there …. no longer in the land of the living, unfortunately.

It doesn’t bode well for electric vehicles then. A bit like fossil fuel consumption figures being way off the mark, the battery range will be quoted when it’s warm and sunny with no heating or lighting on. Come winter you’d be lucky to get half the range they quote, unless technology changes of course.
As for me, I’m just going to fling a few more gallons of dead dinosaur in the tank.

Callum, did you get the battery data on Airdata? Did you graph it from a file or is it already in that format?
Thanks.

… or Dave, :wink:

AirData was the source of the graph … I photoshopped the graphs from two flights into one.

Geek :wink:

1 Like

Ha - perhaps.

Just seemed strange that the two graphs were different … and I got curious. Only 6 hours apart on the same day.

Sorry, Dave. Got my posts and replies muxed ip.:flushed:

1 Like