Coming for a Visit to UK - looking to buying a new drone

I am coming to Scotland from the USA for a visit. We are going to the Isle of Skye and then doing the NC500. We are also going to the Orkney Islands for two days. I am looking to purchase a new drone for the trip. I have already taken the CAA operator and flyer tests.

The question is what drone to buy for the Winds in those areas. I will be traveling in April and May. I know the range is large but currently going between Mini Pro 3 to the Air2s or the Mavic 3. Photos and videos are for mostly family purpose. However, son will be posting some to Social Media.

I have some people say the Mini Pro 3 does well in the winds but other state you need a bigger heavier drone. I plan to fly it off the coast and get some shots of the cliffs and lighthouses where it is legal. The size of the Mini pro is most appealing but I want to make sure I do not lose what I do bring.

Any first hand experience with these areas appreciated.

Welcome David to GADC :clap: :clap:

Personally probably the Mini 3 Pro, whilst you might be remote some of the time if not this allows you to fly closer to people and buildings.

The Mavic 3 is going to potentially be better in winds, but like the Air 2S is slightly more restricted and of course dearer than the Mini 3 Pro

You might actually find it cheaper to purchase here than in the USA, especially if paying taxes there.

Check the exchange rate / prices

1 Like

Welcome mate. My personal preference to what type of situation you have described, Scotland, cliffs and wind would definitely be the Air 2s.
I own both the mini 3 and the 2S. The mini 3 is a great drone and I do love it, like is said above is less restrictive to were you can fly. But. Going off what you have described, and if was going to do the same type of trip,Iā€™d take the Air 2S.
Itā€™s more solid in the air. Its a little more expensive, but you definitely get what you pay for and is well worth the moneyšŸ‘.
I donā€™t think youā€™ll regret it.

1 Like

I can second the comments from @Leylo1971, having both the Air 2S and the Mini 3 Pro myself, but also the point made by @DroneGeek is valid, if you intend to fly in remote areas the Air 2S is more stable in the winds here in Scotland, however the Mini 3 Pro does give you more freedom in more built up areas. So I suppose its down to you making the decision based on your itinerary during your visit.

1 Like

I guess my only concern is buying the Air 2S, when it is for a single trip.

If you are going to fly it back home then maybe.

But it is likely to be replaced during 2023 - maybe in the summer - so will it be a drone that you might regret buying if you donā€™t fly it too often. Especially with a replacement on the market.

If money isnā€™t so much of an issue, then look at the Mavic 3. But even this creates its own problems with the classic or regular.

I would even question whether the 3 Classic is pretty similar to what an Air 3 might be.

But then we are not you - every drone has its own merits - and what might be right for us, might not be for you.

So my parting suggestion might be to buy the best that you are comfortable with spending.

Whatever you decide enjoy Scotland - you will find some spectacular scenery and I hope you will share some of the images and video here on GADC.

I visited coastal northern Scotland in September a few years ago and the strength of the winds I experienced up there was nothing like Iā€™d ever experienced in the English Midlands. I think a Mini 3 Pro would really struggle if thereā€™s the kind of conditions I experienced during your trip.
Thatā€™s why on a diving trip to West Papua (western half of New Guinea) 2 months ago I took both an Air 2S and a Mini 3 Pro as I was staying on a small island where, outside the ā€œgolden hoursā€ in the morning and afternoon, there was always a stiff breeze blowing across the jetty of the eco-resort I was staying at and flying from some of the time.
I wanted to fly 2 kilometres to a small offshore island and wasnā€™t prepared to risk the smaller, lighter, less powerful drone. Even so the Air 2S struggled on the return flight against the prevailing wind until it reached the haven in the lee of the larger island from which I was piloting the craft.
As I was mainly there for scuba diving, weā€™d take a break between the morning dives to off gas and take in refreshments on adjacent small islands, so just enough time to whip out the Mini 3 Pro & its RC controller for 10 or 15 minute flights to video nearby villages and jungle covered hillsides tumbling down to golden beaches.
If on your visit you want close up aerial shots of small crofts or villages then the Mini would do fine, but if cliffs & the coast are to be negotiated Iā€™d go for the Air 2S.
On comparitive costs of drones in the UK or the USA, remember prices here include VAT, is that the case in the States? My experience is that for the same goods we pay in English pounds what you pay in US dollars. Nuff said!

Thank you all for the replies. You have raised some great points. I am worried that the new AIR 3 will be out right after the trip and I will regret buying the older version. However, new things will always be coming out.

I will fly it more than just this trip. I live near the ocean so it will get some winds here.

I will look at the prices on both sides. Right now I can get a AIr2s with fly more combo with a DJI RC remote delivered to my door $1602 USā€¦

I like the Mavis 3 over the Mavic 3 classic for the zoom but we are a lot more money.

I will share with all my pictures and videos after the trip.

1 Like

I suggest you look at IanInLondon YouTube videos, he has covered the high wind capability in all these models.

https://www.youtube.com/@IaninLondon

I totally get your point about if the new Air 3 comes out this year. The thing is, how much better can they make the Air 2S before it begins tripping over the Mavic 3 classics toes, specs and price wise?

The 2S at the mo is a couple of hundred dollars more the the M3P, the new Air 3 will be another, at least couple of hundred. Then thereā€™s a question of do you spend maybe another couple of hundred instead on a Mavic 3šŸ¤£. Itā€™s never ending!

The only thing I could want for on the Air 2s is sideways obstacle avoidance, for extra peace of mind. Thatā€™s it.
The range (especially FCC) , camera,
Stability and features are still up there and the unit is nearly 2 yrs old.

Regret? No regrets with an Air 2SšŸ‘.

Happy flying mate, enjoy your trip with whichever flying machine you go for for. Look forward to seeing footage of it in the future :+1::grin:

1 Like

If buying a Drone in the U/K be wary of the warranty and DJI care refresh

One point that I dont think has been mentioned is that the US version of the drone will natively support the FCC signal strength, rather than the much more restricted UK/European version.
I have read that you can potentially hack the drone to allow you to un-restrict the UK version, but its another point worth considering if you are trying to decide where to buy it from.

Not true, signal strength geo-based

But yes you can hack the drone to force FCC mode in the U/K as many of us do :wink:

Thanks for clarifying @Sparkyws ā€¦ I never realised that ā€¦ every day is a school day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Try it on your Mini 2 :+1:

The Air 2s goes for miles with the FCC hackā€¦so Iā€™ve heardšŸ˜‰

I like the idea of a Mavis 3, sounds interesting! :joy:

1 Like

Still waiting for an easy FCC hack for the m3 Pro/DJI RC. Sold my RC-N1 so its a pain to keep setting it up (unless you know better).

This is the only option at the moment

Is Sincoder not about? He did mine last year. Permanent until firmware upgrade.

Haha, just read Wayneā€™s post above :grin:.

If you can Col, try and get hold of him and like it says be done by TeamViewer.