Connectivity issue

I was flying my M2P yesterday and for the first time ever I saw a momentary ‘lost connection’ warning (my drone was about 300m away). It happened again a few minutes later. There were powerlines behind me (about 50m) and down the side of the fields about 50m to my left. I just wondered if these could be a factor?

In my experience, it’s more likely to be incorrect antenna orientation.
I’ve never had any issues with powerlines, and I’ve recently had 100% signals @ 3km … so the tech certainly works!

This vid may be for the Phantom - but the message is identical for the Mavic controllers. (There may be Mavic specific vids, too.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHoGvvCbukA

1 Like

Here’s one for the Mavic Pro

1 Like

I had exactly the same with mine, then looked at the antenna, I had inadvertently nudged them into an upright position as opposed to pointing directly at the MP2. After a quick readjust, I flew further without any more trouble.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I think it may have sub-optimal antenna orientation. My new controller doesn’t allow you to orientate them in the same way as the old one and I think I got the plane wrong.

1 Like

It does make an incredible difference!

You have to get very close to power lines before you get signal loss .

3 Likes

Brilliant evidence! :+1:

I find this rather confusing, I was always taught that it was antenna polarisation that counted, ie, if the receiver antenna was vertical then the transmitter antenna should match, in other words if the drone is ahead or above you would still
Keep the controller antenna upright.
Is this incorrect?

1 Like

In that configuration I’ve lost all signal at 150ft straight above me.

2 Likes

On the new Smart Controller you have to have the antenna pointing down for most applications which took me a while to realise - like today (even though it was a case of RTFM).

Controller manual

page 12

1 Like

Indeed - but fundamentally no difference in that you don’t point the ends toward the drone but have them pointing at 90 degrees to that direction.
Up/down makes not difference … though laying on my back to prove that with my MP might be something I don’t bother doing. :wink:

Some newbie drone flyer thoughts, having taught radio wave propagation back in the 80s and 90s.

Think of radio waves as you would waves in the sea. The object of the game is for the receiver to recieve the maximum force from the transmitted wave of energy.

If the transmitter is upright then the waves are radiated in an outwards motion from the antenna. The reciever would idealy have an antenna on the same plane to reciever. Think of the sea, if you stand upright the waves hit your whole body, if you can submerge and (swim) stay horizontal the effect of the wave is on you minimal. No one has ever built a boat that goes sideways, but if it could be shoved sideways, the resulting wave could be picked up better by another boat facing in the same (sideways) direction (plane)

The issue comes when the drone is above and has a vertical antenna being pointed at.it. I suspect that the drone, like our mobiles has a MIMO setup inside with multiple antennas built into it. The legs on my air will (I suspect) form part of that MIMO configuration.

We now have to do our part, and that is to offer the largest plane of our antenna to the drone. If it is above us then use horizontal, if it is away horizontally from us then a vertical antenna would be best.

Many many moons ago I taught this very basic antenna propagation, things have moved on millions including the introduction of MIMO but the laws of physics are probably the same.

Happy to be corrected or updated.

4 Likes

Watergate, Gatwickgate … and now a Propagate! :+1: :wink:

1 Like

That makes sense, thanks Chann

1 Like

Apologies if this is a noobie type question…………….!

Was out yesterday morning at 6.00am-ish with my Mavic 2 Pro. Sun was rising & strong in the sky. I was flying over water. Several times I momentarily lost contact with the drone even though it was at a maximum of 200m away & at a height of 50 metres. Generally the drone was in-between the controller & the sun… I moved the controller & contact was restored after a few seconds. Is this due to the strong sunlight.? Its never happened to me before :thinking:

Any advice gratefully received

John

Hi, John. Moved your post over to this pre-existing thread in the exact same topic.

Scan through some of the advice above and see if that solves the problem … and let us know how you get on. :+1: