Could someone 3D print something for me please?

Completely non-drone related, I need a modification for my truck.

Could someone design and print something for me?

I’ll try to explain…

I need a cowl/cover/duct (unsure of correct word) that fits over the top of the rear heater vent outlets and then ducts / reduces them in to a single 40mm drain waste pipe outlet (sounds bizarre, I know).

Imagine these are the type of vents:

Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 15.44.46

And imagine printing something like this to fit over the top of them:

The end result being the two vents now ducted in to a single 40mm wide outlet to which i will connect one of these waste pipes:

In terms of the fitting / attaching your printed product to the ducts I would probably buy one of those carbon fibre trim things and post to you so you can take whatever precise measurements you need and design your print to attach to this trim.

Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 15.51.26

This also means it’s removable when I need it to be.

I will of course cover your time spent on the 3D design and of course cover the print/shipping costs.

Happy to pick up the finer details in a DM :slight_smile:

1 Like

What is the rough size, Rich?

The outlet is roughly 17cm wide by 8cm high, then whatever height/depth required to funnel it to a single outlet - smoothly (the airflow needs to stay smooth throughout).

20cm to 30cm maybe? :thinking:

I could make a (very) rough cardboard mockup if that’d help get some better guesstimates for the measurements.

1 Like

Only asking as my printer will do 220 x 220 x 220 approx. But the funnel section could be printed separately.

1 Like

Sounds doable though?

Very low priority, some time in Jan or Feb would be ideal.

I’ll park it here for now then and pick up with any offers of help in the new year, by which time I will have had a day off at some point and worked out the height / depth it needs to be :blush:

1 Like

Has anyone one a similar mod on any of the van forums @PingSpike , maybe a file kicking around ?

2 Likes

In my past life, I fitted a few night heaters and we used the Aluminum Foil hose

https://www.amazon.co.uk/60mm-Ducting-Heater-Diesel-Webasto/dp/B07ZB2SJD1/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=HEATER%2BHose&qid=1640004428&sr=8-4&th=1

Some drivers would then modify these and run smaller bore hoses up to their bunk etc
but what I found was the reduced diameter would cause the heater to overheat and also the airflow output be reduced

The overheating will not be an issue for you but reducing the diameter might cause a reduced airflow and heat output, just a thought :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Hmmm… good shout.

I might change this then to accept two 40mm pipes instead of one.

Or, I’ve just been looking at those flat 110mm box shaped ductings for cooker extractor hoods that lay flat on top of a cupboard. Could use that instead perhaps. A 110mm rectangle is better than two 40mm tubes, right?

Not sure how to make it go round corners tho…

I’ll have a play about after Christmas but yes, top call, will definitely not reduce to a single 40mm :+1:t2:

1 Like

Depends on the other dimension. If it’s only 1mm, then no. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Fluid dynamics is more than total cross-section but, for your purposes, probably not a million miles apart.

2 x 40mm diameter has a total cross-sectional area of 2,513 sq mm.

So, if the other dimension of the 110mm rectangular cross-section is ~23mm, the cross-sectional area will be almost the same.

However, the circular cross-section has a centre that’s 20mm from the internal surface (and I can’t recall all the “laminar flow” stuff) but the centre of a 110x23mm rectangular cross section is only 11.5mm from the (closest) internal surface - so, for the same cross-sectional area there will be a higher flow resistance.

110x40, or as close as you can get, would be good. :+1:

1 Like

What I would be tempted to do, is remove the heater vent so you can see the internal hose, you may be able to connect directly to it and then you will just need a 3D printed panel to replace the vent
That way you will also have the measurements for the removed vent :wink:

2 Likes

@PingSpike Where are you at with this mate? I’ve got some time to give to help create and print something if it’s still required.

Andy.

1 Like

Thanks Andy @gimbalflight - not had many daylight hours recently to tinker with this one, will shout back here in a month or so probably :slight_smile:

@DeanoG60 :thinking:

I think @Earwig Jez has some he’s already printed? Think he designed his own mount. Might be wrong.

1 Like

I designed one for the Runcam Thumb and, yes, I did use a custom mount because I had nothing it had to match with. There’s also a version floating around that @gunja99 needed, which I think matches a more standard GoPro mount.

hey all, I’m not after anyone to print something for me but to modify an stl if possible? It is a part for a Garmin mount, I need a rectangular based added so I can fix it to the back of my old phonecase so I can use it as a cycle computer and satnav. Beer tokens waiting for your time and effort

1 Like

Which reminds me…

Dusting the cobwebs off this request again.

Anyone in the North West that I could drive round to for a measure up?

1 Like

Zip the stl and post it here

support_veloDEF.zip (96.4 KB)
I hope this works. I just need dimensions of the rectangular part increased by 50%. I have been trying to teach myself freecad so I can do these things myself, and while I’m getting there slowly everytime I try to convert the stl into something I can edit I get muddled up!!!