Crashed my Mavic

lol I’m still contemplating on going skin or not. If I can find one that I know will be good quality I’ll go for it. Trouble is theirs so many around you just don’t know whats good or not. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve got a skin from PGYTECH on order from the DJI store - I’ve had kit from them and have been very pleased with it.

Yeah I’ve had a couple of pgytech bits in the past. Quite well made gear so should imagin the skins will be half decent

:rofl: :clap:t2:

Further update on the Mavic, so to day I decided to see if she flew or not and once again its got a mixed result…
The good things are it starts up fine, picks GPS signal as normal, transmits images just as normal, she fly’s as normal and does an accurate RTH.
The only bad things are it is tending to drift when hovering, this is what caused the hitting the tree originally.
But the main this is when it yawing the obsticle avoidance keeps kicking in and out causing jerky movements, I turned the avoidance off and all was fine ???
I tried a number of the automated flight functions and they all work as normal, so do I send it to care refresh to sort the drifting and the obsticle avoidance issues out or just live with it ???

Hmmm…

My thoughts here would be first up, do a full calibration. Of everything. IMU, Compass, the works.

Then clean all four sensors, two on the front, two on the bottom.

Then test flight again, on a calm day with no wind - ensuring +12 GPS and that ALL the sensors and flight aids are turned on, in order to aid stability and prevent as much natural drift as possible.

Take it up to a decent height (+60m) and see if it still drifts… if it does, make a note of by how much and how fast then yaw it round 180 degrees and see if it drifts in the same direction. If it then drifts in the opposite direction, you know it’s the wind and things might be ok. If it drifts in the same direction after having turned it around, to be honest mate, at this point I’ll cash in the Refresh :+1:

1 Like

That my friend sounds like a brilliant plan…
The drifting is my main concern really, because when it crashed I looked down at the screen and changed the white balance and it must have drifted 10ft or so, I have been looking at the flight record and its clear to see it drifting with no stick input, it did the exact same thing today a very constant spped drift.
I will set too tomorrow and clean the Mavic from tip to toe and then do a complete re calibrate…
Thanks for the ace advice…

1 Like

Now that we have a couple of new Badges available, I’m officially nominating @Ktm250 for the Drone Rescue badge - an epic rescue mission if ever there was one :+1:

I’m also nominating @ziceman for the new Plonker badge for this:

There is now :rofl:

But it’s optional… as part of the GADC spirit, we’d love you to accept it though? :smiley:

4 Likes

I will accept the award with honour.:star_struck:

3 Likes

Hurrah :tada:

Top man, nice one :smiley:

1 Like

Meanwhile @Ktm250 gets the first Drone Rescue badge for not only his heroic rescue of his drone from icy waters but his delicious recipe for boil-in-the-bag rice, with added Mavic. :rofl:

1 Like

Yaaaaay thanks guys…,…:+1::grinning::grinning::grinning:
Congratulations to Ziceman plonked of the month :+1:

1 Like

And so more sad news the Mavics got to go back into hospital :cry:
Went out with her yesterday everything OK THEN out of the blue seemed to go into sports mode and shot off, I let go of the sticks she came to a hover then start bringing her home manually, once again nice and controlled then erratic fast movements, so landed her a good 400yds away to save accidents and got her home, so its DJI hospital for her…:relieved::weary:

I wonder if there is moisture trapped in the sensors causing it to be find with the sensors turned off… at least your getting it fixed, are you using refresh?

Ahhhh, that’s a shame mate :cry:

Better to be safe though eh? You need drone you can trust :+1:

Could you keep us updated as to how the repair / refresh process goes?

Cheers guys, I had a online chat with dji and explained whats happened and that I would like to make a claim on my care refresh, honestly he said that if its found to be user error it will cost me 50 euros per hour for the engineers assesment time, I explained that the drone drifted on its own whilst I was making changes to the settings and by the time I relised it was too late to recover the drone because it hit the branch and fell into the river… I told him that i went into the water and spent 10mins feeling round the bottom of the river bed before I found it, dried it out the best I could but unfortunately its got some serious issues that poses to dangerous for me to continue safely using it…
he eventully sent me a online form to fit out for the collection and repair… watch this space for further updates.

1 Like

good for You mate :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. Cool story

WTF?

That wasn’t my understanding of how Refresh worked…

I didn’t think it mattered what the cause was, in fact, I wasn’t even aware they asked. Surely 99.9% of Refresh claims are pilot error? Otherwise it’d be a warranty claim?

Hmmm…

Anyway, yes, please do keep us posted :+1:

I must admit I was puzzled by what he was asking me, it clearly states you are covered for every eventuality ie pilot error, water damage, it falling from the sky, collision etc etc let them try and charge me and war will be declared :triumph:

all sent off now @Ktm250 ?

Can’t believe that said its going to cost if its pilot error…wonder if they have done the naughty and changed some of the T&C’s…