Cusworth Hall - Added to Historic Buildings in Yorkshire and the Humber

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Plenty of parking nearby including disabled parking. Not sure how much parking costs as being a wheelchair user I could use my blue badge there.
Took off from near one of the benches at the top of the hill. Went early in the morning on a Friday but there were still a few people around possibly it being a bank holiday weekend.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 29/03/2024. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

2 Likes

One of my first proper outings was at cusworth a few years ago, i live localish but its not somewhere i ever think to go

1 Like

It was my first proper flight, although I did do a test flight near Conisbrough Viaduct a couple of days before.
It was bloody freezing on the hill at Cusworth that early in the morning and I forgot my coat. The sun came out as we were leaving then we got a flat tire just down the road past the A1 bridge and had to call RAC. Pretty memorable first go I guess lol.

I think my first pass was the best, did a nice strafe and flyover before people started showing up and I think it was quite smooth looking (everything else so far looks a little janky, even in Cine mode).
Of course like a numpty I realised as I was landing that I completely forget to hit record :rofl:

Second pass wasn’t so good as people were walking nearby and I felt uncomfortable. I know the regulations are different for the under 250g drones but being new to the hobby I don’t have enough confidence yet.

Tried out the panorama sphere photo mode and had a look at Kuula free version, it only allows 25 images though and the mini made 26 lol

1 Like

I was the same about flying in public. I dont let it worry me too much nowadays when i do get out.
I’ve just aquired a mini 3 pro which was my dads who passed away before Christmas.
I can’t wait to get decent weather so i can get out and try the new features on it. Which i am expecting a new learning curve to overcome.
I did think about trading in my mini 2 fly more and the mini 3 pro flymore and get a mini 4 fir the full obstacle avoidance… still unsure, which way to go with that though :thinking:

1 Like

Nothing but friendly reactions I’ve found from all my time flying round the Donnie area.

Locals @speatuk and @Howard78 will confirm
as natives

3 Likes

Agreed, donny people are friendly… just curious from what i have witnessed while flying locally

I made a terrible mistake when I added this location and cant see anywhere to edit it. :frowning:
Went back again today for another flight to see if I could get some better footage even though the weather was miserable. Being armed with a teeny bit more knowledge I thought it best to research Cusworth Hall a bit more, something I really should have done the first time. :clown_face:

To my horror I discovered English Heritage have very strict rules about drone flying on (from) their property, including having to sign a contract with them, only flying when the area is closed to the public and paying a fee. Which from what I can gather includes any staff needed to open the place specifically for flying the drone outside normal opening times.

Luckily, Cusworth Hall is not English Heritage, it is ‘Heritage Doncaster’ and is Council owned, I should have put this entry as Historical Buildings when I added it to Drone Scene, but as I said I cannot see any way to edit it now. :worried:

Interestingly I also read on the English Heritage website that you are not allowed to fly over any of their sites, am I right in thinking that with a sub 250g drone and following the drone regulations they can only dictate your TOAL? I thought that was the case but I am just wanting to confirm that.

With regards to friendly people I haven’t spoken to anyone while out flying before today, went on from Cusworth up to the Humber Bridge. Despite the weather the better half wanted to go take a look anyway. :roll_eyes: lol.

A lady with a dog came over to me while I was stood, and I know it is wrong to make assumptions but I figured I might be in for some ear bashing.
Happy to say (and to my embarrassment) I was totally wrong, she was a very nice lady and seemed genuinely interested in what we were doing (I was trying to capture footage to try and make a time lapse video).

Funny enough, there was another couple there flying a drone when we arrived, must have a better licence and/or permission than me as it was a much bigger drone and they seemed to be flying completely FPV, both of them looking at the screen.

Let us know exactly what edits you’d like made and we can do that for you. :+1:

If you could change the category from English Heritage to Historic Buildings I would be eternally grateful, thank you. I apologise for my mistake, I will be more careful in the future. :smile:

1 Like

Done. :+1: