DaVinici Resolve -- 18 Released / Updated

They must be getting toward the end of Beta … it’s shrunk 170MB in the latest version release …

Edit: That’s the Studio version, btw. No idea on size of the free version.

Someone on Studio 18 Beta 4 (or earlier Studio18 Beta) … can you confirm that there was a project backup button?

Installed Studio 18 Beta 5 today - there seems to be no backup option … just a restore?

If you’ve not upgraded from Beta 4 to Beta 5 …make sure you back up the project library first … there’s another library update that’s not backward compatible.

In other news - the Studio installer (Windows) has got smaller again …

YAY!

It’s out of Beta!

They managed to get it a bit tidier … judging from the size.

Edit:: Seems to load a little quicker, too. :+1:

Ah well - looks like I’m going to have to bite the bullet and update my (very) underpowered laptop. Can’t get smooth video playback even using proxy files :man_shrugging:

Back to Lumafusion and VideoProc Vlogger :roll_eyes::frowning_face: :frowning_face:

A 4k timeline? Or 1080?

Great trick, for 4k … create a 1080 timeline for editing using 25% proxies. Runs like silk.

Test renders in 1080.

When happy, change the timeline to 4k and then leave to render for as long as it takes.

1 Like

I think 18 tries to (ab)use the GPU more than 17 … had a couple of “Run out of GPU memory.” messages.

Doing 3 frame de-noising of DSLR images (for time-lapse) being the main culprit - but they are way bigger (2.5x pixels) than 4k - and RAW. So - I can forgive it *.

Was OK in a 1080 timeline.

( * 6.5 year old laptop - middle range spec at that time.)

1 Like

Not having much joy with proxy files - still stutters :frowning_face:

Think my old MacBook Air is due for an upgrade - can’t even update to the latest OS anymore :frowning_face:

What settings for Proxy files are you using?

And have you tried using Optimized Media?

Two different things.

1 Like

I’m using the Blackmagic Proxy Generator. the original clips are 1440 x 1440 and the proxies produced are 960 X 540 :man_shrugging: Codec is H264.
Have selected Prefer Proxies under Proxy Handling. Have tried with & without Optimised Media selected and Full Half and Quarter under Timeline Proxy Resolution and they all stutter :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging:

Getting splinters scratching my head now :roll_eyes:

With any original videos over 1080 that cause me any issue (not always, by any means), I tend to use these settings and create optimized media (which can take a while).

And in playback settings the same “Prefer Proxies” with this setting too …

The only downside is that it does used disk space, and they removed the quick Optimized/Proxy file removal option.

Not yet used the new Proxy generator, since I’ve not bumped into a problem often enough to need to do so.

(Shit - forgot I had something running in the background (capturing a load of video from my old DVR machine) that may have hiccupped loading … errr … DR for those grabs … hope I don’t have to record it again.)

Thanks for the info Dave.

Created a new test clip and used the internal proxy generator and the exact same settings as yourself - still bloody stuttering. Convinced its my laptop can’t cope - as soon as I start to play the temp goes up and the fan is running almost flat out - feel a new laptop coming on :roll_eyes:

The new M1 (or M2) based MacBooks are incredible machines. If you can afford one, I’d say get it ordered now … try it for 14 days, and you can return it if it doesn’t blow you away :slight_smile:
If you have anyone at school (or going to university), you can get a discount too!

1 Like

Then get yourself a copy of FCPX instead of Resolve, written by Apple for Apple machines.

Think I’ll have to make do with Lumafusion on my iPad although VideoProc Vlogger seems to be working quite well with some good features and FOC.

Or consider an M1 Mac Mini for half the price if you don’t need the portability

First update - 18.0.1 - now available.

2 Likes

2 Likes

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Davinci Resolve help please

2 Likes

1 Like