Dismantling the MP Gimbal Mount ... and Gimbal!

Not seen one in the flesh apart from on mavic but the finish on it looks like it’s powder coated aluminium rather than plastic.

1 Like

Could be. Slightly different click when tapping it than the main plate which is definitely plastic.
Thinking about it, if it was plastic, there would be some moulding marks as on the main plate.

Yeah. I really cant see them holding the gimbal on such a small tab made of plastic. I’d be shocked if it wasn’t aluminium.

I’d be tempted to hold that plate steady on mavic and put some gentle pressure on the fixed part of gimbal to bend it in to shape.

1 Like

In the videos of it stripped down, THAT part IS plastic! I’d prefer to write off that plate, I think … the alternative outcome would be a lot more expensive than the £5.23! :wink:

I’m going in! An arsenal of spudgers, drivers, etc.

And armed with the most important item … this video …

1 Like

I have a lot of bits and screws …… :stuck_out_tongue:

Those of you that build drones from bits … how essential is thread-lock when rebuilding. It’s the one thing I forgot to anticipate and buy.

2 Likes

Current status.

Decided to get some thread-lock in the morning before I re-assemble.

2 Likes

Bother! There’s an awesome sunset out there at the moment. Can’t see this getting up there … :frowning:

1 Like

Throw it up?

3 Likes

I’d never even heard of a spudger before I got my Mavic.

True story :+1:

I still blame @Ashmav and his Titan antenna mod to this day…

2 Likes

Oh - btw - yes, that piece is aluminium.

Having got that plate out, that tab that the gimbal is attached to is so short, and the angle so little, it’s almost impossible to see if it’s actually bent.

It would be useful if I knew if there was a way to power up the gimbal without fitting everything back on. I’d get a much better idea if the new one is different.

1 Like

Of course - I just may have been better off living with the slight issue I had before I dived into this. :confused:

So ….

BEFORE

AFTER

So - basically, no difference! :frowning:

Well, there is a difference that’s not visible in the photos … it now doesn’t frigging work. :frowning:

Constant Gimbal Overload messages.

Stripped back down a couple of times and confirmed all connectors are good. No change.

Sounded like the camera was slightly catching the anti-fall hook at the back, so stripped down again to try without that fitted. No change.

(Yes - I know the top of the body isn’t fully on … taking that on and off is the trickiest part of the palaver … so powered up before fitting it on to check gimbal.)

Now what …. ?? :sob:

Not good :cry:

Put the old one back on - still get those overload messages?

Yup.
The parts I’ve changed are purely physical - not electronics parts, and It’s something “electrical” that’s gone wrong … whether that’s an iffy connector or something else, I’m not sure.

Strange things like the tilt indicator in Go4 has no relationship to where it’s actually tilted.

@callum found this post on Mavic Pilots … exact same scenario after the same repair … replacing the vibration plate. #IAmNotAlone! :+1:
If only he provided clearer details … because what he suggests doesn’t seem to be the actual issue.
I think it’s connector related, and he accidentally fixed it after stripping down and reassembly.
Going to get the air-duster out and make sure every connector is clean.

Meh! :frowning:

I guess that didn’t fix it then?

Sorry if I’ve missed a bit of this, but were you getting this overload message before? (Not just after trying the old one again?)

It was all fine until I changed the vibration plate … which didn’t cure the reason I changed it. LOL!

Everything I’ve googled seems to suggest the ribbon cable may have got damaged … probably by my aging fumbling fingers whilst changing the plate.

New ribbon cable ordered.

#HowToNotCureSomethingThatProbablyDidntNeedFixingTheExpensiveWay. LOL

Glad I completed the Treasure Hunt already! :+1:

The downside … it’s looking SERIOUSLY fiddly to change the ribbon cable! :fearful:

1 Like

:fearful: :fearful: :fearful: :fearful: :fearful: :fearful:

What am I doing to myself?

1 Like