Dismantling the MP Gimbal Mount ... and Gimbal!

Current state of panic … errrr … play!

Still more things to take apart.

Those little screws … they are weeeeeny!

Furthest point from home!
Old cable (bottom) out, new cable (top) ready to go in.

That multi-strand HD video cable feels like the most fragile thing in the world. Butterfly wings are far more hardy!

So - fiddling about trying to get the new cable in, I was getting ever more worried about damaging the expensive multi-stranded HD video cable. So followed one of the videos on this and removed the camera and cable.

These little multi-connectors are the most ridiculously difficult things to align and connect … the new ribbon constantly trying to spring them back out and/or into the wrong position.

After an hour trying to get the very end one on, the connector to the roll-axis motor, behind the camera, I thought it was in position and pressed a bit harder. It didn’t engage.
After a few more attempts, each time it seemed to be loose. I knew something was wrong.

Closer inspection revealed I’d f*#ked the connector.

As the old one looked …

As the damaged new one looks …

For scale, those connectors are slightly under 5mm long! #TheFiddlyLittleFuckers!

Luckily, no damage seems to have been caused to the socket …

So far, the most damned fiddly aspect of this game (?) is that these connectors are secured with some rubbery goo. Getting that out of the way has been a real pain. You can see some still at the lower end of that socket. Might have been that preventing a good connection.

The other thing I’m struggling with it my aging sight.
Decided to get some jewellers’ glasses with built in LED lights.

Back to Amazon …

Two conclusions I’ve made so far ….

a) anyone that does this kind of repair work for a living is a masochist!

b) anyone that complains about the c.£90 charge for replacing a ribbon cable wouldn’t complain if they knew just how frigging tricky it is!

3 Likes

I’ll add a third - I conclude this is not something i’m ever going to even contemplate!

1 Like

WISE move!

And, ultimate irony, the purely “cosmetic” issue I was attempting to correct wasn’t correctable … so, even when I DO get it all back together and flying … that will still be there and it was all a total waste of time. :rofl:

You won’t need to.

Dave @OzoneVibe will be doing them for everyone.

Ain’t that right Dave? :rofl:

Yup! Sure thing!

It won’t be for as little as £90, though! :wink:

1 Like

Actually … chances are, once I have proof that I’ve managed to do it, I’d be pretty good at doing it … and willing … for a sensible fee, too. :+1:

One learns by mistakes … right?

I’ve leant a lot! LOL!

1 Like

They do say practice makes perfect.

In other news … I missed a fantastic sunset sky last night … epic cloud colouring, and similar this morning.
If it rains the day I’m back in the air … I apologise. :stuck_out_tongue:

A better pic of the connector that I broke, just 5mm in length from top to bottom! :open_mouth:

Possible cause of my not being able to get the new connector to fit correctly … the rubbery gunk they use to prevent them vibrating loose.

Getting the camera to see in here with any light was near impossible - hence grainy high ISO pic - so my ageing eyesight without magnification really had no chance.

1 Like

Bloody hell Dave…

Nightmare job :frowning_face:

They don’t make it easy for us, do they?

What’s the plan now? Another new cable??

Ordered two - they’re cheap - hoping to have a spare. :stuck_out_tongue:

Illuminating magnifying glasses, too, so I can see wtf is going on at the end of my fumbling fingers. :wink:

Plans to remove the gunk? I was thinking a hair dryer to soften it and a pin or needle perhaps?

Eff - no! You’d do more damage than good with heat.
When I can see what’s happening, fine tweezers and loads of patience!Apparently Amazon don’t sell patience … I may have problems. LOL

Lol, I said a hair dryer, not a flame thrower :rofl:

Even so - it’s deep into the socket surrounds … difficult to get heat down there.
My fingers would also suffer.

Oxy acetylene torch perhaps? :thinking:

Seems legit…

:blush: