DJI Air 2 v Mavic 2 Zoom Help

You’ve got 3 years before the CE means anything anyway ;o)

3 Likes

There will be something new by then

I mean if you take the plunge now

2 Likes

I would defo not let the lack of ads-b be a factor preventing you from buying the Air 2. It’s more of a fun feature than anything truly useful, especially given its low use in Europe.
The CE certification is annoying but again, as @milkmanchris pointed out it will be three years until the transitional period ends given the delays the CAA have announced in adopting the new EASA rules. A lot can happen in 3 years legislation wise, and whilst today they say no retrospective certification can come in, tomorrow they may change their mind. Either way, no DJI currently carries CE certification.
Also keep in mind the 2 Pro is 907 gms, which is 7 grams too heavy for some of the new rules, so I’m bettign any new 3 Pro will have gone on a diet to get it below 900 gms.
In short, you can play the waiting game forever with DJi, or you go out, get the Air 2 now and enjoy the summer flying… :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Amen, seen as its now downhill to winter.

2 Likes

Thankyou Ian for your advise , I too had thought any mavic 3 would loose weight to get under the 900 gram but I was thinking along the lines of the airsense ADS-B would help any retrospective classification, as someone who is not used to these games of waiting for CAA and DJI to get their act together but the waiting game is getting frustrating

I’ve not been keeping up with the EU regs but way I understood it ADS-B didn’t even come into the equation.

4 Likes

Just to throw a spanner in the works - I hear through the rumour mill that DJI lost a battle with Autel re prop fitting patents and that it may be that DJI models currently on sale in the USA are put on hold until any appeal (or DJI buy out Autel). It would be a disaster if DJI had to recall all the affected models for modification. Given the “Trump factor” regarding China it just may force DJI to concentrate, on Europe at least in the short term or it may even help Autel to gain a better market share with the new Evo 2. With the recent firmware updates it becomes a good rival to the Mavic 2

Your rumour mill is a little out of date :blush:

Try a few searches on here :wink:

@scottydog is right, the ads-b has no bearing on EU certification.
And as you can see, rumours abound and you can chase your tail waiting.
I can say the Air 2 is a tremendous drone, you’ll love it, and never worry about ads-b or EU certification for that matter…

2 Likes

Yes I guess it is about a month or so old news but maybe the current drop in price of the M2P and Zoom are knock on effects and of course the DJIEVENT discount as offered by Jessops all bring the Zoom down to below £900 lowering the delta between the A2 and M2. Recent price drops on the Evo 2 alongside the firmware updates and up to 41 minutes flying with interchangeable cameras all throw this particular market segment into interesting times

@Vennwood @scottydog
As promised, a vid on this… :slight_smile:

Cheers
Ian

6 Likes

Great video Ian! :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for the review. It is well structured and points out most of the differences. excellent.

Do you have any information/updates on any firmware releases on the Air 2 that has addressed some of the “bugs” that some of our American friends have been raising? There are always teething problems with any new product however its hard to separate reviews from the ones that are pro DJI from those that are against DJI and those that are clearly getting commission from any sales. It would be nice to get a practical update on what real issues there has been and what’s been done to address them

I don’t have any knowledge of when the firware updates happen until they happen or a subscriber emails me and tells me :slight_smile:
I think the biggest teething problem is the lack of adjustabilty… but that will come. But no idea when…

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Mavic 2 price drops and Mavic 3 rumours

Its been a month since I asked the question about firmware updates etc and wonder if anyone (Ian maybe) has any updates.? I have held off from buying the Air 2 as it seemed prudent to let the gremlins get sorted before buying (as suggested by many) so getting itchy fingers about getting one?
Has there been any major developments? Looking at mainly USA forums there has been a number of issues that have not been repeated in UK but that may be down to sheer volume of users over the pond

If you wait any longer the M3P will be out and the cycle of doubt will start again.

3 Likes

I wait with a lot of interest. Being given permission to treat myself is rare.
It would be the first time I’ve ever gone for something new and unproven, so to speak, so I’m a little apprehensive about that.

1 Like

Which gremlins are these @Vennwood ? What specifically is stopping you from pulling the trigger?

DJI are the world leader for a reason, their technology has been proven over the last decade.

What are your specific fears on a brand new model @la4501 ?