DJI Avata 2 - Do I need a spotter?

Hi been looking at the avata 2, and i am wondering if you want to fly this using the headset, you need someone else with you to watch the surrounding area? so you can never fly this in public by yourself?

To abide the drone code you need a spotter

1 Like

that is what i thought, that is the only thing is really putting me off this, apart from that looks amazing fun, and alot of possibilites, thanks for helping me

1 Like

I always use a spotter but I have seen some pilots fly without one, and nothing bad happened.

5 Likes
9 Likes

You can fly this inside without a spotter, otherwise its fpv airspace rules when outside and that means you have to have a spotter who understands what they need to do, its like driving a motor vehicle, you have to abide by the rules of the road like never going over the speed limit as we never ever would !! Would we :wink:

I just like to know the rules, so i know where i stand , if people keep pushing boundaries of rules sometimes rules become that tight the fun that once was will be gone, that is just what i think, Maybe i am thinking about to much about drone auditors they technically are not doing anything wrong, but if they keep pushing it could harm everyone. But i hope i am wrong.

Of course we would not do that… He says checking the post each morning for a letter that is imminent.

Well if you fly safely and don’t be an idiot and post “illegal” flights on socials you’ll be fine.

Auditors are different than you might be flying in middle of nowhere without a spotter at a safe low height FPV. They antagonise people for clicks… Very different from someone going a little out of LOS of flying once or twice safely without a spotter.

I’ve flown whoops indoors then out a window and in an other. Guess technically no spotter, but I don’t think I’d enjoy flying without a spotter out and about. I’d be paranoid of a farmer creeping up on me.

If you go 71 on a motorway… Meh … you’ve broken the rules. Would you get fined… Doubt it

I think flying an fpv through woods for a sustainable amount of time where you can not see the drone with out a spotter is like doing 71mph on a motorway with your eyes closed, or driving in general, but vlos for seconds on a normal drone doubt anything will happen at 200 300ft in the air.