DJI Event 18 July 2018 - See the Bigger Picture

It does make me wonder what the next step will be on battery tech and flight time for consumer drones. As you said a bigger battery also ways more! Eventually someone will make a breakthrough, and i think DJI would be one of the first to take on new battery tech when it becomes available

Graphene batteries are the future.

1 Like

In which case DJI better get onto Samsung! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Graphene certainly has the potential to reduce re-charge time dramatically (That I’d love, for itself), I’d not read that it promises an incredible step in capacity/weight. It’s basically carbon, very pure and very dense carbon … and even coal isn’t light.

I’d expect the likes of Tesla to come up with the next leap in battery tech. I know they are investing heavily into it.
One of the problems (not suffered by graphene) is the need for rare metals. “Rare” is key … it means expensive.

Hopefully someone comes up with something soon.

Mavics FOC motor control (vector) is as about as efficient as it gets.

Only new battery tech is going to give us longer flight times.

“In flight recharging” :+1:

1 Like

Maybe DJI should contact the US or MOD, I’m sure they have something up their sleeves.

Or they might be quicker just getting their government to hack in for a peek.

So - the rumours are ….

“According to a core person from DJI HQ, the “See the Bigger Picture” event postponed due to shortage of mass-production capacity. DJI needs to prepare more products to avoid shipment issues, so you can get your new drone quickly.”

Not sure I belive that…

DJI are (in)famous for offering pre-orders on their web site for products which don’t see the light of day for six months or more!

Another rumour I’ve read is that they found a major design or structural flaw in the new gimbal system and are having to stop production to fix it.

I saw that one, but the originator has subsequently said that was incorrect and now offered the above reason.

1 Like

By the way, I’m calling more than one new product announcement - when they finally get round to it. Photos shown so far feature a Mavic 2 AND a Mavic (Pro?) Enterprise, the latter having the top-mounted accessories. Any takers? :smiley:

It does seem that there’ll be two new ones … both bigger than the MP, and more expensive.
Current “rumours” suggest September for the new release date of whatever it is / they are.

Hmmmm …

From Twitter.

2 Likes

Argos faux pas?

2 Likes

I’m saying not. Argos undoubtedly had their catalogue printed and ready to go long before the supposed reveal of the Mavic 2 just over 10 days ago. DJI’s last-minute scrapping of the announcement left them no time to make any corrections. It would have cost them a fortune to scrap and reprint the whole catalogue.

I think this is just the catalogue inserts that are used in store

Wonder what the pricing difference will be like.

Zoom model is obviously the budget version with the smaller sensor.

Or will they be about the same and you choose what you want more, zoom or 1" sensor.

Hmm. Doesn’t really appeal to me :face_with_monocle:

Yes this is the in store inserts but their take away catalogues are printed exactly the same.
Major balls up by DJI I’d say.

1 Like