DJI Fly App Alerts

Hi,
Very new. 3 days in…
Had this pop up on my app.
“Do you accept responsibility to fly in the area”
Clicked ok as I was just showing a m8 a quick hover test. We were out for a run and was going to shoot some footage. Hovered for about 40 seconds at 3ft
and Landed after realising the warning was there for a reason.
Checked AirMap and it was a Class D Area.
Great that these things warn you like that.
Don’t want to get into trouble…
I’ve read people ignore these warnings as they either know they are not in a class d area and the app is wrong or they know they are not going high.
Surely the rule of thumb should be never to click ok unless you have registered to fly in that area with authorities?

1 Like

Class D doesn’t affect drone pilots 400ft + where class D comes into effect.

1 Like

Take a look ar our own Dronescene map

There are various layers you can switch on or off. The one that concerned you here is the DJI layer. There are flight restriction zones around airfields and other sensitive places. DJI prevent you from flying in those areas without prior permission but they are overly cautious with the area they prohibit.

Class D airspace isn’t normally a problem as it normally starts higher than surface level, most times higher than 500 feet so if you are obeying the drone code you are ok to fly.

Thanks.
Going by Dronescene map it’s a red area I was in. In fact I was in the darker red area.
I won’t fly anywhere with out looking at that now!
It was just a large open field in an estate with woods to one side. Unknown to me it’s a flight path for the airport 2 miles away.

1 Like

Easily done :+1: sometimes they can be as small as an airstrip on a feild.

It’s actually quite scary as I don’t want to get into trouble.

Having flown yesterday for about 3 batteries worth I must admit I wish I got the damage protection DJI offered. These things are nuts lol.

Which airport out of curiosity

Not a big one!

Obviously, you lived there long ?

Wasn’t where I live. Out running with a m8
15 miles from me.
It’s a good lesson to learn early on.

You’ve taken the DRES test and registered?

Yes.

1 Like

One not far from me. Not many people know its there but it is rather busy with microlights and small aircrafts.

This has got me thinking.
So we register to have a licence to own a drone over 250g and pay £9
We take the multiple choice test
You have to put your operator ID on the drone.
I’ve done all that.

Why don’t you actually have to register the drone you flys ID. They must all have a unique ID?

Sorry gone off topic a bit!

Same reason you don’t tell DVLA what car you’re driving on your licence

3 Likes

Short answer?

Because it was a short-term, knee-jerk, ill-thought -out response by a Government supported by Daily Mail readers who panic at the mere mention of the word drone and believe in the hype over the plastic bag sighting that closed Gatwick and led to the public hounding and disgrace of two totally innocent people.

[rant mode off]

7 Likes

How eerie. That’s nearly a word for word reply I gave yesterday to a BMFA survey :scream:

Nidge.

3 Likes

Continuing the discussion from DJI Fly App Alerts:

There is some rather misleading information in this thread. There is a better explanation of Class D Airspace on this thread:Class D airspace?
Basically with your drone you don’t have to be concerned.
You can also look at:
https://dronesaferegister.org.uk/blog/hiring-a-drone-operator-guide-to-understanding-airspace/

Peter

There is? Can you highlight it for us?

There’s also a tl;dr explanation of Class D here: https://dronescene.co.uk/about#ClassD

Class D doesn’t affect drone pilots 400ft + where class D comes into effect.

Class D airspace isn’t normally a problem as it normally starts higher than surface level, most times higher than 500 feet so if you are obeying the drone code you are ok to fly.

Actually Class D can be from surface level but that still does not affect drone pilots with drones under 7Kg.

Peter