DJI FPV Drone price drop

Stop encouraging his illness! :rofl:

1 Like

You know what Rich is like, Deano.

He’ll start you off with “Hey man, it’s only a Mini, you can handle a Mini can’t you?”

And before you know it he’s got you mainlining an Autel Evo2 while turning tricks for elderly men on the flightline.

1 Like

You’ve made me sound like a drug dealer and a pimp, all in one post :rofl:

3 Likes

If the hat fits, wear it with pride. I’ve done a lot worse at the cost of what little dignity I had to begin with.

1 Like

I like the idea of an inverter to field charge, in fact I’ve ordered 3 to test, I already have a good 20Ah 12-14v Li-on battery pack to use, also ordered the YX for FPV Blue fast charger with triple leads, found the Mavic Pro 2 version to be outstanding so purchased the FPV version as well

I’ve been using one of these since 2018.

I originally bought it so I could field charge my DJI Spark batteries from the three port charging hub. But since then it has proven invaluable for many other uses that require a clean 240V AC supply, along with 12Volt@10Amp, and multiple USB connections, while in locations away from any other power source.

The price appears to have increased quite a bit since 2018, I paid around £90 for it in 2018.

Even though I’ve charge cycled it many times the internal lithium cells are still performing as well when I first purchased it.

1 Like

That looks quite good actually Nidge, seems quite portable looking as well, at 155Wh it should be enough hopefully for X3 DJI-FPV battery (44.4Wh) recharges give or take any losses from totally flat - not recommended, or if discharged to 50% or close you could potentially get 6 or 7 recharges.

Won’t it be black friday soon? Might be worth waiting!

Current DJI FPV price is £1149 on the 29th oct your wifes discount will increase to 15%.
New price after discount £976 getting closer.

strong text[quote=“raspberry, post:49, topic:37022”]
New price after discount £976 getting closer.
[/quote]

Apologies to start with. My reply was supposed to be short and concise but my stream of consciousness has gotten the best of me. Also I’ve been sat on this toilet for so long I’ve completely lost the use of my legs, and other lower extremities.

Getting closer, but still more than I’m prepared to pay for a drone that is essentially a bit “Meh” at what it does. If compared to the 3DR Solo, which can do everything the DJI FPV Drone can do but better (it has a better tune) except for the HD Video downlink, the two are very similar in performance. In ACRO mode the Solo can knock on the front door of 100mph, it is of far stronger construction, has the same “Oh Shit!!!” Button, and can be had significantly cheaper. I bought my first Solo at the beginning of the year, a New In The Box, Old Stock, for £80 including shipping. I’ve purchased another two since then which all came with extra batteries and extra gimbals, backpacks, and assorted accessories, for around the £100 mark each.

The 3DR Solo Acro-mode is still a work in progress with contributors across the Solo Community. Also another great thing about the Solo is it’s all OpenSource, and as both the controller and the Solo use IMX6 computer boards internally, running Linux, it’s easy to recover if you screw the code up, just hit the rest button and it installs a fresh gold copy of the firmware from a protected partition.

The Solo was released in 2015 and it failed miserably to take on, and contributed to the abrupt demise of 3DR, which prior to this was a leading developer of drone technology. Personally I still believe that while the technology was, and still is, groundbreaking for a consumer drone, the marketing side of the company really screwed the pooch by insisting it be released before being truly ready for market. And the person that should bare the brunt of the blame was one Mr Colin Guinn.

Colin Guinn was, and still is, a man whose body cannot contain his massive ego. Back in 2011 Guinn was a reality TV star whom also Oran an aerial photo buisiness. He met with Frank Wang, the creator and owner of DJI around this time. After a few trips to Shengzen Colin was offered the post of head DJI North America. It was fairly harmonious to begin with but Guinn’s ego started to get the best of him. He changed his own title from the North American project leader to “CEO of DJI Innovations” and made claims that he was the one whom came up with the Phantom 1 and Phantom 2. During the development of the Phantom 3 it was becoming clear to Frank Wang that if Guinn was to continue with these falsehoods and public false promises that DJI itself would suffer greatly. So with all that said FranK Wang fired Guinn, and his enablers.

Guinn wanted revenge, after all he really believed his own publicity and felt DJI owed him big time. He approached 3DR, who were in the mid stages of developing the Solo. At this point Guinn’s reasons for his departure from DJI were not all that public and 3DR took him on as part of the Solo team.

Can you see where this is heading??

As with any innovative tech design attention to detail is key. However Guinn was hungry for revenge and wanted to put one over on DJI, and in his own sad little mind make them sorry for firing him. So he pushed for a premature release of the Solo in the hope it would severely impact DJI’s release of the Phantom 3. He was partly successful. The Solo was released to a fanfare of publicity, expounding the feature that no other drone could provide.

And it sold well, initially.

Early adopters of the Solo quickly started to have serious issues. Dangerous flyaways, where some users were nearly fatal,y injured. There were also serious quality control issues. And… the primary selling point of a gimbal that would fully integrate with a GoPro was still more than six months down the line, which rendered the Solo useless for any kind of video/photo work.

3DR stuttered along for a few years more, primarily being a repair centre for faulty Solo’s, before turning out the lights on the consumer market in 2018. Credit to the 3DR creators they did publish all the intellectual property pertaining to the Solo, firmware, SDK’s, maintenance manuals, onto the web making them OpenSource. Even though they were no longer in a position to support the Solo they still believed in it and hoped that others would take up the challenge to develope the drone, which they did.

As for Colin Guinn. Well he’s still hawking his snake oil on linked in, making the same false claims about his contributions to DJI and 3DR.

Solo in Acro mode.

This guy has been an ardent Solo Supporter. This is his first few flights in Acro FPV with drone, first with the standard two blade props and the second with aftermarket three blade props. There are also quite a few others on YT and Facebook doing their own trials.

2 Likes

Now that looks cool! :star_struck:

1 Like

Go on then @Nidge … How much did you pay for the FPV drone today? :slight_smile:

I’ve always understood that in this world it’s not what you know but who you know, and whose squishy bits you’re prepared to debase yourself with. My wife had a significant staff discount today so the cost for the combo and two extra batteries was less than the current discounted price for the drone alone.

3 Likes

£1016 with the one handed controller too

If you join Very as a new customer you should get 20% off so bringing the price down to £879 for the combo, I got the Mavic 3 from there saving £301 from the retail price, just remember you need to enter in the code WELCOME at checkout.

1 Like

Why is this a thing? What could you possibly be doing with the other hand? :scream: :laughing:

Trying to catch the thing when using the single controller, its an absolute bitch to land with

stumbled across this on interweb any truth and maybe the reason for all the price reductions.

As long as any mini fpv is goggles and controller compatable count me in

Probably the boy @speatuk too :wink:

4 Likes

I guess that means you’ve fallen to the Darkside Nidge :laughing: Have fun whizzing it around :+1:t2: Did you get the Joystick hand controller too?