DJI Go v DJI Fly

Having had the briefest of plays on DJI Fly (new mini) today I quite like the interface although I do miss the battery remaining indicator (and charge remaining to home etc).

I use Litchi mainly on my MP and was wondering what peoples views on the Fly App are, especially as I see the Air 2 is also going to be on the Fly version.

I use Mimo for my Osmo and they are very similar.

Yeah jury is out with me too.
Just with they would release the SDK for the Mini so we could have it on Litchi.

2 Likes

Meh.

But then Iā€™m used to years worth of GO3, GO4, Litchi, etc, so it was bit of a shocker seeing how cut down it was and how little ā€˜realā€™ control I had.

Then again, itā€™s only a quick drone for quick flights using my phone, Iā€™d never use it with a tablet or the CrystalSky anyway so realistically itā€™s probably fine for itā€™s intended use really :slight_smile:

DJI finally releases a new SDK yesterday.

But it only included support for the new Matrice M300 and its various payloads :man_facepalming:

Which makes me wonder if an SDK for the Mini will ever materialise now :confused:

1 Like

Probably not. But then again who would have put money on that they would have opened the mini up as they have?
They have made this little drone quite a litter monster really.

1 Like

+1 that, only had the smallest of plays with mine today, although I did fly one at meet earlier in the year (cheers @Nige_T)

Gonna be a let down with having it for the Mavic Air 2 !

2 Likes

Its a learning curve thatā€™s for sure, after years of GO/Litchi

1 Like

Could not agree more Chris !.
But, If Litchi is to be used for the Mavic Air 2?, then thereā€™s hope.

1 Like

Cannot believe they will not release the SDK for the Mavic Air 2, with all itā€™s bells & whistles itā€™s suppose to have !.

1 Like

Heyup @milkmanchris
Yeah enjoyed meet-up.
Canā€™t speak for any other apps as MM my first ā€œproperā€ drone so tbh got no comparison butā€¦
Personally I like the DJI fly app.
Itā€™s easy to use uncluttered and dare I say intuitive for the novice. As mentioned the experienced guys will no doubt miss the finer points of other apps, but Iā€™m not missing what Iā€™ve never had. :wink:

2 Likes

Mmmmm. Thanks to OP for flagging up lack of battery-life / remaining charge to Home in 'Fly. Although I try to fly according to conditions (as Iā€™m sure we all do :smirk:), I think these are glaring omissions, central to a safe return, which have got me out of a pickle more than once :+1:. As the happy owner of an MA FlyMore (plus extra batts) using 'Go, good as the specs of MA2 seem, think Iā€™ll stick with what I know & trust instead of ā€˜upgradingā€™ as I had been consideringā€¦just my tuppence-worth.

1 Like

:+1:

The only indicator now is ā€˜flight time remainingā€™ (top right), its still dynamic like in GO and warns that you need to return to home with on screen prompts etc.

On the battery front, you donā€™t have the option to set critical percentages etc anymore

The above is good little guide, as I said originally I like the interface, but it as a very cut down version of GO, which I see as ok for my Ā£400 travel drone which Isnā€™t gonna venture miles and miles, perhaps not for an Air2 (Iā€™d hang for Litchi support)

*Major thing missing for me on the mini is active track, but who knows, I think they might bring it in, they listened to manual video controls ;o)

1 Like

I just need the Mini to pull off automatic 360Ā° panos and my life will be complete.

1 Like

It is doubtful that active track would be incorporated due to the lack of sensors.

1 Like

Yet it works brilliant on the Osmo mobile 3 with my iPhone, I think they have the technology ;o)

1 Like

Sorry whatā€™s the SDK smiles

Interesting screenshot,
Camera view shows coast looking out to sea,
Map shows landlocked position :thinking::thinking:

2 Likes

He looks a mile maybe from the surf so could right, at least the icon is pointing to somewhere on the map we canā€™t see

Hi Chris
Yep, these FPV cams often mask the distances.
I did wonder if it had been grabbed from DJI site and was an advertising created image.
Cheers
Steve :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Probably is now Iā€™ve had a better look at it, 1018m from the home point (clearly visible), so I think youā€™re right and your bullshit call stands ;o)

1 Like