DJI Mavic 3 & Classic - Rumours, leaks, gossip and general discussion

How about getting it for free?

https://store.dji.com/uk/event/holiday-2021

What ever you do Ian donā€™t take it to Dover lol

1 Like

Here you go! Analysis of a Crash Test Dummyā€¦ :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Your analysis of this new model seems very accurate Ian, the combination of APAS 5/OA and extra sensitive sticks is a recipe for disaster near Winter condition trees or any other hard to fathom obstacle such as lines/cables in drone path.
In my opinion to fly this drone with confidence would need a much-needed update to the M3 firmware to dampen down the droneā€™s reaction to obstacles while at slow speed, have the sticks at a much reduced softer rate for such flying & most importantly, have a switchable option to the RTH enabling selection of Legacy RTH in unknown environments.

1 Like

Yes. That intelligent RTH is a worry in its own right too.

Iā€™ve been advised the iOS version of the Fly App has the EXP settings, so Iā€™m hoping Android gets it soon too. :+1:t2::+1:t2:

1 Like

Iā€™ve just watched your most recent upload, Ian, and I must admit I am horrified that DJI let the M3 onto the market with such a poor control interface.

With most fixed wing models the rates, expo, diff, etc, is tuned in the transmitter. With multirotors this is usually done within the flight controller via the interface, e.g Betaflight, Ardupilot, or coded in via the firmware or parameter file. This has the advantage that the resolution of the controllerā€™s gimbalā€™s is retained.

Listening to those in the know DJI have separate teams working on different products, quite often interns so a cheap workforce with a high turnaround. It would not surprise me that even though the individuals within the M3 team will be highly skilled in their particular fields little thought would have been paid to the finer side of control. In turn this would not necessarily be picked up by those whom received the review models, or if it was it wasnā€™t disclosed for reasons, as such things could possibly be alien to them unless they have a more involved background on the subject.

I hope so too, this is my biggest criticism of the Mini2, for such a small model it lacks the ability for fine control on the pitch and roll axis. But by the time it makes it to Android the APP may only be compatible with one or two devices judging by the rate at which compatible Android devices are being culled from the list. :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

Spot on. Iā€™m unsure whatā€™s going on inside DJI HQ but whilst I get how much of the fine tuning is supposedly done by the droneā€™s internal electronics, that doesnā€™t remove the basic requirement to be able to adjust things yourself. If you are well used to the Go 4 App and havenā€™t ever experienced the Fly App, you will be staggered. It has a fraction of the adjustments and functionality of the Go4 App. But Itā€™s clear to me they are dropping the Go 4 app entirely; Air 2, 2s, Mini 1, Mini 2, FPV and now the 3 Proā€¦ no recent release has used the Go 4 appā€¦

2 Likes

As they used to say in the intro to the sitcom Soap,

ā€œConfused?? You soon will beā€.

Even more confusion seems to be in the mix.

As I understand it the Mavic 3 and new smart controller are Ocusync 3, but the Air2S is Ocusync 3 capable but that will not work with the new SC.

The Mavic 3 has a transmission speed of 15Mb/s with video at 1080p@30fps and 60fps, and a latency of 120ms. But the FPV drone also uses Ocusync3 but has a data rate of 25mb/s and 50mb/s with a video link at 720p@60fps and 120fps and a latency <26ms. Both the controllers for the Mavic 2 Pro and the Air2S are Ocusync 2 but one will not work with the other, and the two models use different APPs.

Is it any wonder that as they start adding more models to the DJIFly APP that something inevitably goes South with the earlier models?

1 Like

Just watched Dustin Dunhills range test
9 miles out, 18.1 round trip. Impressive. But I donā€™t condone it obviously

My heart nearly stopped! šŸ¤¦šŸ½šŸ˜‚

1 Like

Fuckin Paul you tosser :joy:

One of the first of many ARTH nightmares have become a reality already it seems

Advanced Return to Home Crash - Mavic 3 Wrecked

I was casually reading through the comments when I nearly sprayed my iPad with coffee when the original poster, the one responsible for the crash, came out with this gem,

ā€œ Despite my considerable flying experience I have never bothered or needed flight logs and indeed donā€™t know how to view or copy them.ā€

Thatā€™s like an aromatherapist saying theyā€™re a real doctor.

I couldnā€™t read anymore than the first page after that.

Starting to look good :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Donā€™t get too excited.
His attempt at reviewing the active track on the Zero-Zero V-Copter went very Pete Tong due to his own negligence.

1 Like

Saw that :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I always used to like watching Aldrinā€™s videos, but now I realise it is only a business for him, and he is sponsored for all he does, sadly I cannot see him as unbiased anymore, I still watch some of his videoā€™s but with a very open mind

Really not great is it and theyā€™re using the cheaper if you could call it that controller thatā€™s used on the mini etc

But far superior

Than?