DJI Mavic Mini disappointment?

I love my mavic mini I am selling because I got a new mavic pro 2 I think alot of people upgrade you do t hear many bad things about that drone it’s amazing I sold mine to a friend who’s. Just starting

4 Likes

I’d say given the original demand for the mini with people scouring the country for them, a lot were sold. If that’s the case then the number of 2nd hand sales are relatively low.

The mini will have been the 1st drone for most, like me. Decent features, known brand and affordable. You get hooked and 6 months later there’s a new drone and of course you consider upgrading (I’m not).

No surprise people are upgrading and private sales get the best prices.

3 Likes

As well as shutter speed and EV compensation ;o)

2 Likes

Reckon we like it for similar reasons.
Can’t wait to take mine into the wilderness on a paddling expo. Put it in your kit bag and it’ll hardly be noticed until the magic time comes.

5 Likes

I love mine, put it in my pocket and take it up in the air in seconds, range is the only thing that sucks in EU version, and makes me think about selling it, and going for the occusync 2 on mavic air. I was filming going along a river on a nice sunny day, got out to 300ft and it lost signal.
Every time I fly it, I’m always wary about signal loss, it’s just in the back of my mind and slightly irritating!

I shouldn’t complain as we have to fly within visual line of sight, but I remember flying rc helis 10 years ago, and back then they had absolute rock solid signal lock.

2 Likes

Are you checking transmission settings before flight?, it has a habit of defaulting to manual instead of auto.

3 Likes

If that’s the case, it’s a more attractive option now than at release.

Pleased to hear that DJI are releasing firmware that adds ‘missing’ features over time, not just bug fixes.

2 Likes

2.1km and not a spot of bother!! With interference 600-900m. I guess it depends on where you’re flying

1 Like

@anon63544368
Spot on mate, although my expedition days are numbered !! Even selling the Bell Chestnut Prospector now. Dodgy knees :grin:

As someone whom has openly admitted to having a serious “drone” collecting problem, why have I not chosen to replace my Spark with a Mavic Mini?

1. Sub 250g. In my opinion this was a cheap gimmick purported by DJI and now pretty much irrelevant. But it is one of the reasons why the Mini performs so poorly in windy(ish) conditions.

2. Thirty minute flight times on a 2cell pack versus 16minutes on a 3cell pack. Again another contributing factor as to why flight performance in windy(ish) conditions is poor. The powertrain just cannot cope. That’s why in the early days the Mini would suffer ESC overload problems and shut down in flight so DJI reduced the power capability via firmware to reduce the problem.

3. Construction. Anyone who has held a Spark will immediately notice the robust construction, it is far more capable of taking a knock and shrugging it off.

I’ve not included the forward facing obstacle avoidance of the Spark as I have it permanently turned off, I found it more trouble than it was worth. Going back to @silverfox682, Ted’s, observations and comments about brides and nighties, I can concur. I performed a side by side test of my Spark against a friends MM in breezy(ish) conditions and I’m sad to say that while my Spark appeared impervious the Mini was really struggling to maintain a position and displaying overload warnings on the APP.

I’m not knocking the Mini for what it is as with its inherent limitations it does a good job with what it was given. I do feel though, as has been mentioned in this thread, that some users were too optimistic, due in part to DJI’s excessive use of artistic license, as to what could be easily and safely achievable. If they had marketed as they did with the Spark, i.e. a selfie drone with a controller (the Spark was originally sold without a controller) there would have been much less ambiguity. But DJI chose the route of implying it was a full fledged Mavic but pocket sized and under 250g.

Nidge.

6 Likes

A 20mph Wind is just touching an F5 which in sailing, ocean going, surfing is considered bloody windy. A proper wind that will stir up good size swells and white horses. The type of wind that will catch out an unaware bod on a beach or in an estuary.

If it’s an F5 I will be reaching for a downwind craft and surfing open ocean ‘runners’

So in wind terms - flying a MM in anything over an F3 is where people get problems.

Not so long ago I set off on a downwinder in a F5 wind off the tip of Arran and some muppet called the RNLI. They wasted four hours trying to catch up with me. All that wasted money and man power.

I had my mini a few weeks ago and have been super impressed by it. It definitely has limitations and but it does well for the money… if I was buying new I would probably get the Air2 and I have the feeling that’s why so many are up for sale… if I was to sell either of my drones it would probably be my Air to get something bigger…

i reckon that the DJI range were built for a variety of climates - they could handle wind ( albeit differently ) and were a bit like a hob-nob daring to be dunked - they could “challenge” the conditions very effectively. The Mini was built for a different reason, and not for challenging conditions i.e… it was built for the California, Florida etc type of non challenging climate where it is successful ( to a degree ), but I think the high re-sale figures suggest many owners cannot “trust” the mini, and once it up past 100 feet and over 2000 feet away any pilot needs to have that trust.

1 Like

:policeman:

:wink:

Ive got bionic man eyes - its clear as a bell :blush: :joy:

3 Likes

As with all these drones, its knowing your own limitations as a pilot as well as that of your craft.

I remember chasing down a P3A as it just flat refused to come back one windy (very blowy) day.

4 Likes

I didn’t check, I didn’t know the settings can reset between flights. Il make sure to go through the settings, thanks for letting me know.

1 Like

Limited use I’ve had with mine it seems to always default to manual, I stand to be corrected though

With the clarification earlier this week from the CAA that the MM can be flown, after the rule changes come into effect in November, in the A1 sub category with a C0 classification, with no age or time limit.
All you have to do is read the user manual and register it because of the camera. So you can fly over uninvolved people !!
This is now a game changer and a huge bonus for the MM.

All other Drones without CE classification will be “legacy” and will not be retrospectively classed, thus after the transitional period in 2022 will have to be flown in the A3 open sub category. (there are some exceptions dependent on your qualification add ons, where any legacy drone can be flown within other catergories)

The only down side I see to the Mavic Mini is strong winds, other than that it’s a cracker of a drone. But hey you pay the money and take your choice.

3 Likes