DJI Mini 2 batteries are not auto-discharging

Done and it earned me a Badge lol

2 Likes

Just spotted another article

“DJI Mini 2 drone getting firmware update to address battery charging issue - The Verge” DJI Mini 2 drone getting firmware update to address battery charging issue - The Verge

1 Like

Thank you for the links, @scottydog and @Pavster.

I guess DJI overlooked the different chemistries the Mini and Mini2 use in their batteries. The Mini uses two Samsung 25R 18650 cells (Lithium Ion) where as the Mini2 uses LiPo (Lithium Ion Polymer).

DJI highlighted that the three port chargers supplied with the Mini and Mini2 Fly More kits can be used as a USB Powerbank, which is fine in the case of the Mini as most USB PB use Lithium Ion packs. However I think DJI should rewrite the manual for the Mini 2 to say something along the lines that the charger can only be used as a powerbank when the batteries are above a certain charge level, especially once the revised discharge firmware is released.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I pretty much do what DJI has recommended. Charge batteries then store them out of the hub and drone. I keep them in a battery bag for safe storage. Apparently, storing them out of the hub and drone prolongs their life.

Yeah, because they can then discharge like they’re supposed to :blush:

2 Likes

I thought the same thing about the Mini 2 batteries so decided to experiment using a LCD display charger (Yx) I got from Amazon so that I could quickly see the exact amount of retained charge in each battery without using the drone and fly app.
I charged all 3 to 100% , then the next day I checked all 3 and they had all dropped to 96%, then over the following days I just checked one leaving the other two alone. Five days passed and the daily checked battery was still 96% so I then checked one of the others and that was 96% as well. Day six I check those two again and both were 92% in the morning but by the evening they were 85% (and I think would still show as 4 leds on the hub). Day seven those two were bang on 72% (which registers as 3 leds) so I then tried the third battery that hadn’t been checked since after day one and that was 72% as well, so to me it appears that perhaps they don’t get reset when plugged into anything, they just take that bit longer to discharge than DJI suggested in the manual (or at least for my batteries)

Hopefully though the new firmware will sort out all these varied issues that have been reported across t’interweb in the last few months!

1 Like

I first reported this battery discharging issue back in December last year.

DJI have finally released a fix for it today:

:+1:t2:

8 Likes

On most “intelligent” batteries from DJI, pressing the power button briefly to check the charge level also resets the discharge days-counter back to zero.

Meaning that if I check my Mavic Pro battery level today, I then have to wait another ten days before it starts to discharge. If I check it again on day six, I think have to wait another ten days, and so on.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the recent firmware update for the Mini 2 just starts the battery countdown and that the countdown doesn’t stop when the battery power levels are checked.

The Mini 2 batteries don’t have a power button on them so the only way to check is by putting one in a drone and briefly pressing the power button, or briefly pressing the power button on the charging hub (which then checks all 3 batts), or by taking one out of the hub and dropping it back in again.

I suspect this checking action on the Mini 2 batteries doesn’t pause the timer and that the batteries will still start to discharge, regardless of how often they are checked.

Not an issue as such, just a different way to what many of us have gotten used to.

This is only a hunch, I’ve not tested / proven it.

Which, eight days later, I’m not convinced is working.

Anyone’s batteries started to discharge yet?

Mine have, they’re still in a Lipo bag. Don’t trust DJI to fix it and the batteries have been fully charged in the charger case for too much of the time I’ve already had the Mini 2.

You need to do more flying!! get out more :grinning:

2 Likes

I updated all 3 Mini 2 batteries and placed 2 in the charger and 1 in the drone for 4-5 days.
The one in the drone decreased to 96%. 2nd has decreased from 4 solid LED markers to 3 solid and 1 blinking in about 5 days (which means below 92%). 3rd one is still on 4 solid led lights, I’ve put it in the drone for a second and the app showed 95%.

Well all I can say are my batteries are discharging slightly but not equally… All were sat in the charger, 2 showed 4 lights one showed three. Sticking them in the drone and the showed 96, 92, and 88 percent. Going to charge them up and leave them for a week and check again.

1 Like

Hi folks - the upgrade to the latest firmware for my Mini 2 has been a problem saga as upon upgrading, my mini2 version within the fly app was reported as N/A. Putting each of the fly more combo batteries in the mini2 did not result in the fly app asking to upgrade my batteries firmware. I ended up “changing” The DJI Assistant app to allow the firmware flash so I can then deploy the latest firmware again so as to correct the issue with the version not being reported in the DJI fly app. After this was sorted I hoped that I will be now asked to update the battery firmware for each of the batteries but this has not happened despite how many times I have tried. I have confirmed that the discharge does not happen as I left the batteries in the charging hub and pressed the button after a week and all four LEDs were on for all batteries. Any advice? Has anyone else experienced anything similar, please?

Thank you all in advance for your time.

Have you tried refreshing the firmware?

Follow this procedure, the battery that is in at the time will automatically be updated, when you fit the others it should then initiate there firmware update

Hi - Thank you very much for the response. Yes I Have tried both the refresh to the current version + the downgrade to the previous version so I can allow the fly app to recommend the upgrade to the latest version but neither option presented “the new battery firmware” message when I switched the batteries in sequence. This makes me think that probably all batteries have been somehow updated during my refresh/upgrade attempts but when I left them in the charger for a week the number of lit lights did not reduce to indicate a discharge had taken place.

Try checking them with the fly app when in the drone, to be honest i still dont leave mine in the charging hub

1 Like