DJI Mini 2 firmware updates

Hi all

New to drones so apologies if this is a stupid question. As you probably all know. DJI have just released a new firmware update for the mini 2.

I have updated the fly app and gone through the download process and installed the update successfully. The one reason I wanted this update is to solve the battery issue while left in the charger, which this fix apparently addresses.

What I am not sure about is if the update has worked on all the batteries. I know that the battery that was in the drone when I did the update will have the update, but not sure about the rest.

I have installed each of the other two batteries after the update. Switching everything off after each installation. I was expecting to see an update for each battery come up, but nothing has. When checking the firmware update in the about section. It says you have the latest version.

So will it automatically update the batteries as I put new ones in each time after the update without any further action?

Any help appreciated.

Best wishes
Alan

I don’t know whats happened there but the batteries should update separately, the one in the Aircraft will update with the aircraft firmware and then when you install the other 2 it should inform of a Battery firmware update :man_shrugging:

I did the same thing today and updated all four batteries.

The first time it appeared to update the aircraft and the battery, then switched the aircraft off.

I powered the drone up with another battery and it prompted to update the battery only and then powered down again.

Rinse and repeat with other two batteries and aircraft and all four were done.

Lewis

Moved your post, and replies, over to a catch-all thread for the Mini2 Firmware Updates.

1 Like

@Alanm on my old Mini 1, I posted some steps on here (which I can’t seem to find now) on how to update the battery firmware.

I had to do the same thing for the Mini 2 this week.

Essentially it was:

1. Update the drone firmware, which also does battery # 1
  2. Shut down RC, Drone and force-quit the Fly app
    – This was the important part!
    – Don’t just close the app to the home screen, force kill it completely
  3. Put battery 2 in, power everything up
  4. Check for latest updates and you’ll be told new firmware is avaialble
  5. Wait while it updates the battery
    – This is very quick, as it’s only doing the battery and not the drone and rc again
  6. Shut down everything, force quit the app
  7. Put battery 3 in, etc
3 Likes

Thanks very much PingSpike. Your system worked and all batteries now updated. Without the force stop of the fly app, nothing comes up about battery update. As soon as you force stop the app and restart, the prompt to update the battery appears.

DJI do not give you this information, so thanks very much PingSpike. Really appreciate the help. Thanks also for the other reply’s. It is appreciated.

Best wishes
Alan

2 Likes

I forget about the forced shut down because I do it all the time, I don’t leave any apps running

I would have hoped DJI would have made this process a little more elegant. When my Anafi and Powervision Egg X receive battery updates each battery is updated sequentially without having to power cycle the remote and application.

It’s just as well I saw your instruction otherwise later today there would have been much profanity when I update my Mini 2’s batteries.

1 Like

If it’s enabled I’d recommend to turn off the option to ‘Auto Enter Camera View’ in the app settings (Profile > Settings > Camera View) so that way you will always see any update notifications when the controller connects to the drone.

I’m currently testing how my fully charged batteries behave, with two left in the hub and one out of it, so far all three have entered into the 1st discharge phase after 24 hours down to 98% so hopefully they will now behave as was detailed in the manual and by day 5 will be down to around 72% whether plugged in or not

I didn’t have to power cycle

Your all to impatient. If you just replace the battery let it do it’s thing after a couple of minutes it says on the Home Screen of the fly app “software update” then you press the “update” button and it updates.

This worked on the m2 and the FPV Drone

2 Likes

Same for me, just left the app open, changed batteries, waited a few minutes and Bob’s your uncle :laughing:

1 Like

:point_up_2: this was my experience too (iPhone 12 Pro, all up date on iOS and App)

1 Like

I left mine at least a few minutes, no battery update. Even went to the About tab to give it a nudge, no battery update. Problem with waiting too long is the drone heats up so if a restart does it quicker, I’ll restart.

Ahhhh.

This is why I have a fan blowing air at the drone at all times when I am in the house doing updates

One of the few advantages of night shift is a lot of spare hours in an air conditioned box , good internet too

3 Likes

Great minds think alike. I have some usb powered fans and old PC fans of various sizes for this very reason. Whenever possible I have the VTX’s on my Fpv machines to set to always boot up with a 25mw output, or less, only going to full power when the quad is armed. However even at 25mW many VTX’s can generate quite a bit of heat.

The Mini2’s lack of forced cooling does concern me, especially when there’s a significant update required, as it does get hot quite quickly. In fact there’s very little in the way of passive cooling either. I suppose adding a fan or heatsinks would have pushed it over the much raved about sub 250g limit. The DJI Spark, considered to be the Mini’s predecessor, has quite an elaborate cooling system.

I recently considered mounting some LED’s in the front holes of the Mini2, just for the fun of it. That was until I realised that those front holes are the only means by which the main board receives any kind of forced cooling when the Mini is flying forward.

As a seasonal example, last week one of my flying club buddies experienced the effects of poor ventilation with one of his electric planes. The 25 degree C air temp also contributed. While in flight he experienced a loss of motor power a few minutes into the flight. His batteries were more than capable of sustaining 10 minutes or more of flight. Upon landing it was discovered that the ESC was so hot, due to lack of ventilation, it was going into limp mode. I’m actually quite surprised that some of the tiny SMD’s didn’t fall off as the solder paste used on some of these small devices has a melting point of around 180degrees C.

So to surmise, and think @speatuk will attest to, if you intend to power up your Mini (1 or 2) for any amount of time without flying it, please provide some form of cooling. Rapid heating followed by rapid cooling can be the death of electronics in general.

3 Likes

I’ve yet to spin the props on my Mini 2 after the updates, or before for that matter, but I found this video languishing in my YouTube “recommended” viewing list this morning.

The uploader is claiming that since the latest FW update for the Mini2 he, and others, are experiencing range issues and postulates that the FW has reduced the output power (?). Has anyone whom has flown since updating experienced similar reduced range issues?

When it comes to Youtubers making claims about RF performance theory, except for those with a credible background, I will often exhibit the same anger I usually reserve for creationists. The YT’ber bases his claims comparing the performance of his WiFi Mini compared to that of his Mini2. Mini flew further than Mini2 therefore Mini2 bad.

???

2 Likes

Not flown yet as weather not good here , I did see a yt video from tech drone media but that was for the mini 2 with smart controller, I will try a flight as soon as weather permits and watch this post with interest.

Just to satisfy my own morbid curiosity I’ve just done a static range test. I left my Mini2 on the living room floor and set off walking down my road with the controller.

I got to about 190m and still had a 2 to 3 bar signal strength, full control of the gimbal, and clear video. 190m doesn’t sound far but consider that the Mini was in my house, and the signal had to pass through many other houses to get to the controller, I think its fair to say there’s no issue with range. I didn’t go any further as my legs have much less range than the Mini2. I must add that my Mini2 has not been modified so it was the CE 14dBn power level on 5GHz.

6 Likes

That’s a excellent idea and based on that I would have to agree , mini 2 has more range than your legs made me laugh lol

1 Like