DJI Mini 2 firmware updates

Is anyone testing the batteries auto discharging in their charging case?

Having issues getting my batteries to take the update but was in a hurry.
Gonna try again tonight.

1 Like

I’m testing just now but going to be a few more days before I get any results

1 Like

In a moment of madness as it’s blowing quite swiftly through the valley today I did a real world range test.

I flew from my decking and down to the river, a distance of around 700m. I couldn’t go any further as the DJI NFZ starts on the South banks of the river. Anyway the RF link was rock solid and did not deviate from a full strength reading, though I would prefer a more meaningful representation of signal quality.

Anyway it certainly contrasted the results this chap had.

1 Like

Updated the drone firmware but although all 3 of my batteries will request the update none of them succeed.
States firmware update at 70% never moves from 70% then says failure.
If I clear all the aircraft caches including flight records will I lose anything? I’m thinking it’s all either on sd card or in the cloud (flight records).

Anyone else having the same issue?

No the flight logs are with regards to your DJI login. You just login and sync and they are back.

I would delete the app, reboot your phone/tablet and reinstall.

The app with then download the latest software automatically so it is there for when you connect back to your drone.

You will, however, lose your drone personal settings.

So if you are unsure what you have set things to, just make a note of the settings before you delete the app.

I honestly can’t think of anything else you can do.

1 Like

I’ve made 4 flights since the update, but not in one of my usual ‘range test’ locations with clear line of sight - these flights were in locations where signal strength could have been degraded by trees and the topology of the ground - and managed between 600m and 1200m ( though the latter did involve a loss of signal and auto RTH until signal was regained )

I think that’s the only option. Both my tablet and phone are doing exactly the same thing. They seem to start at 70% and go nowhere.

I think I’ll delete the phone app. and try that. I did download the latest app. from dji but installed it over the top of the same version app. already on the phone.

All good fun!

Yes I am as well.

So far whether the batteries are in or out of the charger, the have all done the 1st phase discharge to 98% after 24 hours and are now all down to 95% after 48 hours, so hopefully by day 5 they will all be at 72% as originally stated in the manual

I have looked but I was getting really frustrated with the bloody drone last night so it may not have been a proper look!

Is it possible to find the version of firmware the Mini 2, batteries and controller are on?
Other than waiting 4 weeks for DJI (ok, I exaggerate) to reply to a question can I re flash the firmware?
I haven’t looked at doing this in the drone but have run a few (loads) of custom ROMs on various phones.
TIA

Would it be possible for you to use your HackRF1 to obtain more meaningful measurements ?

@FFf

You Can downgrade or refresh the firmware using DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series)

To allow Firmware refresh/downgrade you will have to modify a .ini file

1. Go to: C:\Program Files (x86)\DJI Product\DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series)\DJIEngine
  2. Find and copy defaultsetting.ini
  3. rename to defaultsettingsold.ini
  4. paste the copied file somewhere else (desktop?)
  5. Open with notepad and change [wm161]
    upgrade_enable=0 to 1
  6. Save the change, copy and repaste to C:\Program Files (x86)\DJI Product\DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series)\DJIEngine

Run DJI Assistant 2.exe

Startup the Mini 2 and immediately connect the USB cable to the PC
after a few seconds, it should connect to the computer and you should see the current firmware with options to refresh or downgrade

Hope this helps.

Any measurements the HackRF can produce will only be relative as opposed to absolute without a calibrated source as a reference.

I can view the spectrum but to assertain the actual signal quality is a lot harder. Both the transmitter (the drone) and the receiver (the controller), even though both RX and TX, use a MIMO arrangement. In very basic terms both the LOS and reflected multipath signals are combined at the controller to produce a single data stream with minimal errors. To assertain the actual quality a Bit Error Rate (BER) measurement would need to be made of this data, probably after any overhead data had been removed.

1 Like

Thank you @Sparkyws
I knew I should have brought the drone to work. I guess I will have something to do tonight now whilst watching the paint dry (sorry, England football team).

Perhaps we could organise a ‘Bring you Drone to Work Day’.
Much more fun than ‘Bring you Child to work day’ :wink:

1 Like

Good idea but my office is a little too close to a hospital landing pad and when they come in, they come in low 'n fast.

My update tended to hang at 70% for about a minute then carried on.

This one goes straight to 70% hangs for a few minutes then says update failed.

Tried to connect via Assistant 2 for mini 2.

Connects and exports flight log.

Does nothing else.

Apparently this is all Assistant 2 does. Plenty on the dji forums.

Tried to reset the app and all the same.

Dji Assistant 2 will content and flash controller.

Downloaded fly app to work phone, never had dji software on it… same issue.

Baffled

Did you not read my post above :man_shrugging:t2:

To allow Firmware refresh/downgrade you will have to modify a .ini file

1. Go to: C:\Program Files (x86)\DJI Product\DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series)\DJIEngine
  2. Find and copy defaultsetting.ini
  3. rename to defaultsettingsold.ini
  4. paste the copied file somewhere else (desktop?)
  5. Open with notepad and change [wm161]
    upgrade_enable=0 to 1
  6. Save the change, copy and repaste to C:\Program Files (x86)\DJI Product\DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series)\DJIEngine

Run DJI Assistant 2.exe

Startup the Mini 2 and immediately connect the USB cable to the PC
after a few seconds, it should connect to the computer and you should see the current firmware with options to refresh or downgrade

Hope this helps.

I Have reposted it for you @Fatfred_flies :wink:

2 Likes

Only option I get is to export data

Plenty on dji forums about it