DJI Mini 3 Pro - Lens Fogging

Got hit with the fabled lens fogging on the Mini 3 Pro this week… frustratingly, whilst I was in the middle of a job with time pressures.

Have had it since the day it was released and this is the first time it’s happened. But it absolutely ruined the shoot, and was more than a little embarrassing.

I need to wait until Monday to log this with DJI and see what they’re going to do… so whilst I’m waiting, I thought I’d ask here and see how many others have experienced the same and what outcomes you had from DJI (if any).

Hi @JoeC had the same problem myself and DJI replaced it no problem they said it was module not camera
See below
the assessment of your drone, there is no physical damage or liquid damage. The only issue was the camera lens module was defective.

SEND IT BACK!

New one is perfect no issues

Regards
Mark

2 Likes

Was the fault apparent on day one with yours?

No it was intermittent tbh @TassyWass

DJI have identified this as a known problem. Raise a ticket with them - pretty sure they will replace it FOC.

2 Likes

Thanks - going to give them a call when their support desk reopens on Monday… or maybe the following Monday since I’m off on a little holiday next week and was hoping to take the Mini 3 with me. Sounds like it should be a painless process though, which is good. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Where did you buy it @JoeC ?

If it were me I’d rather return it to Argos, Amazon, et al for a proper new replacement rather than send it to DJI in return for a refurb :grimacing:

2 Likes

Now that’s a good point - got it from Drone Safe Register so have dropped them an email. :+1:

1 Like

Don’t buy into the bullshit about return to DJI.
Your contract is with them not DJI.

3 Likes

@PingSpike i got a brand new one, same with Mini 2 when that had gimbal error

1 Like

Result! :smiley:

I wonder if they don’t have many refurbs on the shelf yet due to the 3 still being relatively new.

100% this

1 Like

@milkmanchris when I had a gimbal problem with Mini 2 Jessops advised me to contact DJI, I did have care refresh and DJI replaced with new, sent it to Netherlands and had it within week :+1:

There seem to be a lot of places passing the buck these days. It is the sellers responsibility to sort it if still in warranty, not yours.

From the consumer rights act 2015:

Your rights under the Consumer Rights Act are against the retailer – the company that sold you the product – not the manufacturer, so you must take any claim to the retailer.

As the lens is fogging it is:
A, not fit for purpose.
B, not of satisfactory quality.

Taking it back to the retailer does not necessarily mean they will replace it with new. By law they have a number of options - repair, replace with new or just give you your money back. It depends on the store policy and sometimes what stock they have. You cannot demand a new replacement - you can ask though :man_shrugging:

I was only highlighting the fact that it is the retailer’s responsibility, whatever the outcome. You shouldn’t have to send it to the manufacturer

Didn’t disagree with you - my point was. going back to the retailer does not guarantee a NEW replacement.
All the cases I’ve read (across number of different forums) that have (incorrectly) gone back to DJI have had new replacements for the lens fogging issue :man_shrugging:

Its one of those rare cases where DJI have admitted a batch of defective units.

I will admit, I’m a little irked that they’ve admitted there’s an issue with a batch but not done a recall of them. I’ve got Care Refresh so it’s not like they don’t know which specific drone I have and which batch it was from - I dare say most of us who went out and got one of the early releases will also have Care Refresh.

Good that they’ve acknowledged the issue, poor that they aren’t proactively fixing it.

But it’s too hot today, so I’m probably just a bit grumpy. :wink:

Well, that was easy. Logged the support ticket with DJI. UPS came and picked it up last week. A week later, a shiny new Mini 3 Pro has been left on my doorstep. :+1:

Refurb ;o)