DJI Spark - What is the max wind I can fly in?

I am wanting to fly my DJI spark this weekend but it’s windy. What is the maximum wind speed I can fly it in? As I am new to this I don’t know?

I would say a max of 15mph.

DJI recommendations / Specs for Spark

https://www.dji.com/uk/mobile/spark/info

1 Like

See new topic also

1 Like

In no way belittling you but I would suggest, if it is a fairly new aircraft to you and you may not have a great deal of experience on that particular type, to be cautious.

I know how frustrating it is to sit out the weather and the bad news seems to be strong winds for me in the south at least) for the next two weeks at a minimum. I’ve got a new to me octocopter that can lift a full frame DSLR or decent cinema camera all built and ready for its first flight. But, rather than take a risk, I’m waiting for a calm(ish) day. Then, if and when problems develop, I have one less factor to battle against.

Any abandoned warehouses near you to practice in :slight_smile: ?

1 Like

I agree with Robert, don’t even try to fly, unless you are confident you can handle the wind speed.
No point in risking your drone on a flyaway.
Remember, the higher you go, there is a strong probability that the wind speed will increase significantly.

2 Likes

@evilc666 - IaninLondon, an experienced pilot and a prominent YouTuber had a wind speed problem with his new Mavic Mini on New Year’s Eve. He had ignored the stronger wind at altitude in his rush to capture New Year fireworks. And we are not talking thousands of feet here - wind speed at just 100 feet can be twice that on the ground.

PS - while the weather is crap have a look at Ian’s videos. He talks a fair amount of sense and he’s not afraid to own up to his mistakes so that others learn from them. He also posts in here from time to time.

3 Likes

Also remember it is not just the wind speed its them gusts like we have been having at late, maybe 15mph here but 100ft up it can be a differant ball game as macspite above says, add the gusts on top of that and you could find a movement of 50ft in 1 second which could see you UAV well off course.

If in doubt do nought !

As an owner of a Spark I concur with everyone else’s advice and wait for calmer weather. I have flown my Spark in some breezy conditions but that is because I’ve changed the tune on mine to be more aggressive and I can disable the GPS and fly in ATTI mode, something the Spark in standard trim will not allow you to do.

Be patient, the wait will be worth it, certainly worth more than chasing your Spark in the wind.

Nidge.

I really struggled with my Spark in 20mph winds, I had to descend to about 10ft just to get it back, I’d say15mph max

Also consider anabatic and katabatic wind flows when flying within valleys and atop steeper hills/mountain areas.

basic rule is if you think the wind is too strong , dont fly its safer

Some say as “a rule of thumb” if the trees are moving don’t fly

1 Like