DJI Support repair query

Hi folks, I’m a new drone user - recently got a Mini 2. However I’m off to a bad start as it’s got a dodgy front right rotor which gets stuck when trying to launch. There’s more resistance when turning it compared to the others, and whilst it does eventually start after a bit of manual rotation I’m a bit worried about it conking out mid-flight.

DJI say to send it back, which I’m happy to do (it was a gift so I can’t easily return it to store). Couple of quick questions though:

1 - They say in their email to use the original packaging (inside another outer box) do they return this to you? I’d like to keep the original box just in case I want to sell it in the future etc.

2 - I presume it’s just the drone (obviously without sd card and battery) that I send, but I use the gimbal protector and rotor cover? Don’t need to take the props off do I?

3 - What are the turnaround times like? They say 5-7 days I think excluding the shipping times to the Netherlands, is that realistic?

Thanks!

Welcome to the club Sausage… Sorry to hear you have a faulty Mini 2. If it’s reasonably new can you not return it to the place of purchase? Could be considerably quicker than DJI’s turnaround.

Noted but, It’s faulty! surely the person that bought it would like you to return it for a working one?

Questions

Should be returned in OG boxes.

what ever you send them will be returned but just send the drone with gimbal cover attached to protect the camera. Leave the props on.

2-3 weeks with my experience door to door

Thanks for the advice McSteamy! I’d much rather return it to the shop in person, especially as I know it came from Argos as the yellow code sticker was on the wrapping so that would be far easier for me. However I’ve asked for the receipt without joy and suspect it’s been lost (it was a 50th birthday present with a few people chipping in, and suspect it was probably purchased a while back). Oh well.

I’m happy with 2-3 weeks anyway, I’ve gone 50 years without the urgent need to record drone footage so suspect I can wait a bit longer! Cheers for the help.

2 Likes

Argos are pretty good, at least around here for doing exchanges without receipts. If like you say it has the ‘‘Argos’’ code on the box they might be okay with it. nothing to lose i guess and if that fails DJI are still there.

Always bank statements to fall bank on. Just another option.

Unfortunately the code was on the shrinkwrap, which I binned last week as I didn’t realise there was a issue then. I think I’ll try Argos anyway, as you say nothing to lose.

I suspect it would have been a cash purchase (as a number of people contributed) so probably no bank statement to fall back but I’ll ask the question.

1 Like

Good luck and keep us posted. :crossed_fingers: :+1:

1 Like

I would have thought argos would be ok with an exchange. They would be funny if you asked for a refund.

They do return the refurbished replacement in a DJI box, but it isn’t the original box. It’s a much smaller DJI box designed to fit just a single Mini 2, without controller, batteries, etc.

When I used DJI Care Refresh, they told me not to send the original box, and to only send the Mini 2 ‘well packaged’. I sent it wrapped in bubble wrap inside a used amazon box. Personally, I would not trust sending the box, as it also has serial numbers on it.

My two pennies worth - return it to the store that the person bought it from.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help everyone. Quick update - tried Argos last night, was honest with them about the situation and they were helpful but wouldn’t exchange it without some proof of purchase (order number/email confirmation etc), which is fair enough. The person that bought it for the group for me feels bad and is trying to locate the receipt still, but it was bought using cash and they don’t know what they’ve done with it as it was over a month ago now, which isn’t helpful! I’ve asked if there’s any sort of email trail from Argos at all but the moral of the story is always keep receipts for big purchases, even (or maybe especially) if it’s not for you.

The upside is I don’t feel so bad about hoarding boxes and receipts for stuff I buy myself in the loft now (along with that drawer of old chargers for phones I no longer own and weird cables for sat navs etc that I binned years ago!).

3 Likes

If anyone’s in a similar situation I can say I was impressed with DJI’s service, it took 9 days all in from me sending it to getting it back which I thought was pretty decent. They sent a new drone rather than repair my old one (even though the report said it was just a cable issue but I guess the policy is just to swap the whole thing out), and they even chucked in a free gift of a DJI pen.

I’m off to take the drone out for a quick test flight now, so watch me stack it into a tree and smash it up within the first 2 minutes of having it back.

2 Likes